37 | g o n e

"I don't want you to leave me," the voice beside me murmured before throwing an arm around my waist, snuggling into me

"I don't want you to leave me," the voice beside me murmured before throwing an arm around my waist, snuggling into me. Ace had been extra clingy the last few weeks, knowing he wouldn't be able to stop the inevitable; the two of us being separated and going off to our different schools.

I was leaving first, a whole two weeks before Ace would go off to Sacramento State. And as much as he wanted to go with me, to help me move in and get situated, I wouldn't let him. I wanted to just be able to say goodbye to him and try to forget that I wouldn't be seeing him until Christmas.

So Ace probably wasn't the only one who had been extraordinarily clingy.

When I felt Ace's head lay against my chest, I kissed the top of his head and wrapped my arms around him as much as I could. "I don't want to leave you. But i've heard a college education is kind of important."

"More important than me?" I could almost feel the puppy dog eyes he was sporting. He wasn't even facing me and I could still see the frown he was sure to be wearing.

I chuckled a little and ran my hand through his hair, calming him a little. I felt his shoulders melt from their stiff state. "Nothing is more important to me than you and Lilli. But you don't see Lilli holding me down on her bed, clinging to me like a baby monkey."

"Lilli isn't in love with you," he concluded.

I gasped. "She isn't?"

Ace snorted and sat up a little, only to lay his head back down were it was, facing me. "Lilli calls you every hour and comes over here every single day. Don't try and tell me she isn't acting clingy too."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. And it's not like I mind all the attention. It's more than i've gotten in my entire life," I sighed.

Ace brought one hand up to cup my cheek and he smiled, bringing my body warmth. "You deserve all the attention in the world. And I bet you at Emerson, you're going to get it," his voice turned playful. "It better not be from any guys."

My heart swelled at the affection clouding his voice. I needed to change the subject before I turned into a puddle. "You're mother is going to kill us, again."

He swatted a hand as if brushing off a fly. "We're adults, she can't do anything."

"So what was two days ago?" I saw him blush a little after Anna walked into his room, claiming to need his dirty laundry, when she caught us heavily making out. But I told myself we were lucky it was only that.

"It wasn't that bad," Ace rolled his eyes.

I gave him the girlfriend look, the one that told him to shut up. "We were banned from seeing each other for twenty-four hours, Ace. We live in the same house. She might as well have locked us both in our separate rooms for a whole day."