22 | t o g e t h e r t o g e t h e r

I woke up the next morning to my cell ringing in my ear

I woke up the next morning to my cell ringing in my ear. I groaned and looked over at the caller ID but when I saw it was Ace, I shot up, sitting up straight.

I don't know how long I stared at the screen, wondering whether or not to answer the damn thing. Did I want to talk to Ace? No. But what if it was important? I answered the phone.

"Hello?" I picked up shakily.

"WHERE ARE YOU?" Ace immediately yelled.

I held the phone further away from my now possibly damaged ear. "I'm... at Lilli's."

I heard him sigh deeply. "Why didn't you tell anyone? We were all worried. Mel, none of your things are here."

"I'm aware. I'm not staying with you anymore. I can't," I tell him, swinging my legs over the side of my bed.

There was a long pause. "So you're staying with Lilli now?"

I didn't want to lie to him but I knew there would be hell if I told him I was back home. Even if Charlie was unlikely to touch me now, Ace would never believe it. He would storm over here and take me back to his home over his shoulder if he had to.

"Yeah, I'm staying with Lilli. Stop worrying about me Carter," I told him, wanting to get off the phone already.

"I'm always gonna worry about you King. I can't help that," he paused, waiting for me to reply, but I didn't. "So, how are you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Ace, I don't want to talk, especially not to you."

"I understand that Mel. But I want to make sure you're okay," he admitted.

I scoffed loudly into the phone. "Yes, I am completely fine. How your girlfriend Ace?" I deadpanned the question.

"Is that jealousy I hear in your voice?" He joked, making me see red.

"How are you joking about this right now?" I whispered and pulled back to hang up.

I heard him say something else, so like the stupid girl I was, I pulled the phone back to my ear. I caught the last part of whatever he was saying. "-sorry Melrose."

"You're sorry? For what? Breaking my heart or joking about breaking my heart?" I laugh, unamused.

"Both. I just- I want to talk to you Mel, in person. I want to apologize to you in person. I don't want to do this over the fucking phone," he rambles on.

I shake my head even though he can't see it. "I'll see you at school Ace," I told him before hanging up.

 "I'll see you at school Ace," I told him before hanging up