08 | g o f i s h

Dedicated to one of my best friends Daniela for being just as excited for my updates as I am:)

I found myself barely paying attention in English since all I did was talk to Lilli or Ace. It was my best class so it wasn't detrimental to my grade but we were yelled at. A lot. It was mostly Ace's fault. He tried his hardest to make both of us laugh. I was pretty sure he did it on purpose too, just so we'd get into trouble. Getting yelled at just made us laugh even harder.

It was Friday and three days had passed since the night at the diner. Ace had turned to me during class today to inform me that his family wanted me to come over again tonight. They were having a family game night.

I'd have been lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I had already met them and it's not like Ace and I were actually dating. But it was still nerve wracking. Meeting parents were always weird to me. Even when it was just your friend's mom or dad. They still freaked me out.

We went to his house right after school and went inside, not knowing what to expect. Noah was standing by the door when Ace unlocked it and immediately wrapped him in a hug. Noah was short so he only reached his waist. Ace didn't even look taken aback.

"Hey ninja. How was school?" Ace asked him. The nickname was cute; it probably stemmed from the fact that Noah was a hyper kid.

Noah gave him a smug look. God what was Ace teaching this kid? "Mom didn't make me go today. We stayed home and made cookies for you and your girrrrlfriend."

I looked over and Ace and he was holding in a laugh. "That's nice bud, lucky you."

"I bet you wish you could have been here to make cookies for your girrrrlfriend," Noah dragged the word again.

But Ace just chuckled and nodded, "mhm."

Noah gave a shy wave to me and I smiled back at him. He was adorable. A little blush appeared on his cheeks and I looked over at Ace and saw him still laughing.

"I think my brother has a crush on you," Ace told me as we walked into the kitchen, which seemed like his mother's favorite place to hang out. I gave him my most dramatic eye roll.

Ace's mom was in front of the sink, cleaning the dishes from what I can only assume was the cookies. She was humming a little to herself and continued to do so even after she saw us walk in.

"Hey mom."

"Hey Mrs. Ross," Ace and I said at the same time.

She smiled and dried off her hands. She walked toward us and gave me a pointed look. "I thought I told you to call me Anna?" I blushed a little and nodded. She looked over at Ace and told him, "Austin won't be home for another hour or so. You two can go upstairs or outside and do your homework or something."

Or something?

Ace was thinking the same thing because he had a wicked smile on his face. I looked over at him and smirked, "you wish."