23 | f i r s t m o v e

The entire lunch room was silent; save for a few quiet conversations

The entire lunch room was silent; save for a few quiet conversations. Most heads were turned toward Ace and me but some were faced away, as if they were trying to give us privacy. I pulled away from Ace and looked over to where Lilli was.

Her jaw was hanging open, completely shocked. My eyes widened, silently asking her what I should do. But she only shook her head, not knowing what to do. So I looked back to the boy who had just kissed me in front of half of the school's population.

His face, for once, was full of emotion as he looked at me. His eyes told me how sincere he was and his upturned lips told me how happy he was to have kissed me like that. But my mind was telling me to get out of there.

So I swallowed harshly and avoided eye contact before running out of the room and out of the school. Ace was too shocked to run after me and I was too confused to actually go anywhere. I stayed in my car for over half an hour thinking about everything and nothing.

Eventually, the passenger door opened to reveal Lilli. I turned to her and gave her a blank stare. "Before you ask, no, I have no idea what that was."

She was still shaking her head like she had in the cafeteria. "I wasn't going to ask that. I know what that was Ro. That was a kiss," she sighed. "One hell of a kiss," she mumbled under her breath.

"He's... very confusing. I feel like I have whiplash. One second, he's angry at me and making sly comments and then the next, he's acting as if I'm everything and more. I just don't get it," I complained.

Lilli settled a hand on my shoulder before letting out a long and heavy breath. "That's something you guys need to figure out together babe. I'm not sure I can help you out there."

"Every time we talk, we end up fighting," I groaned.

She tilted her head. "There must be a reason for that Rose. Maybe when you guys talk, you sound accusatory?"

"What do you mean?' I asked her, slightly self-conscious when it came to criticism.

She shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't seen you guys argue. I'm just saying maybe he takes what you say the wrong way and that's why you guys fight. It's just lack of communication and perhaps you guys should work on that before getting into a relationship."

"How are you so good at giving advice when it comes to boys? You've never even had a boyfriend Lils." I leaned back in my seat and rested my hands on the steering wheel.
She shrugged once again. "Not sure. Maybe I'm just smart," she told me and flicked my forehead playfully.

"Hey!" I exclaim and smack her hand away.

"I'm just kidding. I read a lot of books and that's where I learn most of my street smarts," she told me proudly.

I chuckle at her weirdness. "Yeah, okay Miss street smarts."

She lightly pushed on my shoulder and scoffed. "Don't make fun of me, it's not nice King."