18 | w a r n i n g b e l l s

I stayed the night at Ace's house for the next week, but now, in separate rooms

I stayed the night at Ace's house for the next week, but now, in separate rooms. Anna only had one rule for us while I stayed there and it was, "no sleeping in the same bed as your girlfriend Ace James Carter." He had nodded, a little scared and I agreed to it quickly, not wanting to upset her.

A week after the final family barbeque, I woke up to someone nudging my arm repeatedly. I let it go on for awhile, not wanting to wake up. But eventually, the incessant poking got to be too much for me. "I'm up," I groaned.

"I was beginning to think you were dead," Ace whispered into my ear, making me jerk away.

I opened my eyes slowly and saw his face directly above mine. I wanted to reach up and kiss him but remembered the fact that morning breath was a thing. "Have you got a spare toothbrush for me yet?" Even after a week of me staying there, Ace still made me use his toothbrush. I truly wanted to die.

He smirked down at me. "Sweetheart, you can always use-"

"I'm going to hit you."

He laughed and pulled away from my face. I sat up in the large spare bed and tried to smooth down my hair, which was surely a mess. I was in his hoodie and had thrown on a pair of sleep shorts before climbing into bed the night before.

"Did you sleep well without me there?" Ace asked with confidence.

I shoved him aside when he leaned in again and chuckled. "I went a whole seventeen years without sleeping in the same bed as you. I'm pretty sure I can do it for one week without feeling deprived."

He lay a hand against his chest. "Are you telling me that without my presence, you are able to function? Properly?"

"Get out of my way, I need to get ready. What time is it?" I asked him. But he had already turned my usually bad morning, better.

The corners of his eyes crinkled in the corners when he looked at me. "It's 7:30."

"School starts in 20 minutes Ace!" I shot up out of the warm bed and ran into the hallway, into his bedroom. My things were still in there; I had been too lazy to move them.

I grabbed a pair of jeans and a long sleeved red sweater. I went into his bathroom and took the quickest shower known to man, brushed my teeth and then dressed. I pulled on my pair of converse and combed through my hair simultaneously. I guess my hair would have to be wet today.

Ace sat on his bed, on his phone the entire time, already dressed and ready to go. This had practically been the routine since I started staying with Ace's family. He didn't even look at me when I stood in front of him with my hands on my hips. "I'm ready to go now. Thank you so much for waking me," I practically growled.

He glanced up quickly. "Well don't you look cute? What took you so long?"

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to tear my hair out," I told him, grabbing my backpack and went into the hallway.