e p i l o g u e

I no longer hated airports; because they no longer took me away from everyone I loved

I no longer hated airports; because they no longer took me away from everyone I loved. I didn't have to leave every January or August. I just got to be home.

And by home, I meant the place Ace and I had rented together. I hadn't seen it in person yet, but I knew that since Ace's parents approved of it, it would be great.

I hadn't seen him since early January and I was practically bouncing in my seat as the airplane took off. I had officially graduated from Emerson with a bachelor's in creative writing and I was on the way to publishing my first novel.

Ace would graduate, in two weeks, from Sacramento State with a bachelor's in business since he still barely knew what he truly wanted to do. We had done it.

We made it through four years of long distance, minus the small breakup we had halfway through our Junior year. We had gotten into a fight in February and by the time June rolled around, all I had to do was see him in person and our break was history.

I would be coming home two weeks before he did, so I would move in our stuff and get situated before he got here. And then, I would attend his graduation, as a surprise.

When I landed in LAX, my mom was waiting with open arms. I ran over to her as fast as I could with two suitcases. Her grip was tight and I may have heard her sniffle a little bit. Next to her was her new husband, Matt. They had started dating three years ago and got engaged after eight months of dating. They had gotten married when I was home for Christmas break.

She was finally on her own two feet. Matt had moved into her two bedroom home after they got engaged. Matt had two children himself, Miley, who was twenty-three and Samuel who was nineteen.

"Hey Matt!" I greeted, pulling him into a hug as well.

"Hey Kiddo," he chuckled, hugging me back.

I turned to my mom as we started toward the exit. "Have you seen the house yet?"

She nodded with a smile. "Ace had us over during his spring break. He seems so excited for you guys."