19 | h e a r t s t r i n g s

The first thing that happened when I got back to the Carter/Ross residence was something I didn't expect

The first thing that happened when I got back to the Carter/Ross residence was something I didn't expect. Lilli had dropped me off and I had walked in the front door, my mood in between brooding and repine. But what I wasn't ready for, was Ace to be behind the door when I opened it.

He jumped out in front of me and yelled, "boo!" as loud as he possibly could, scaring not only me but Noah, who was in the living room. We both yelped at the top of our lungs, the sound shrill.

"Ace James Carter, don't do that!" I hit his arm repeatedly. It did no harm to him, seeing as his arm was as hard as a solid piece of concrete.

He chuckled and snatched the backpack off my shoulder, swinging it over his own. "You know, the longer you stay in this house, the more I notice you act like my mother."

I start to walk up the stairs. "I don't know what you've heard Ace, but boys with oedipus complexes aren't cute."

"What's an eddipus complex?" I hear Noah yell from the other room.

Ace followed me up the stairs. "Nothing!" We both answered.

We ended up in the guest bedroom, where I was currently sleeping and Ace set my backpack on the bed. "So, how was your history test?" I plopped down onto my back.

"How did you know I had a history test?" He questioned.

I rolled my eyes. "You told me a few days ago you were stressed for the test on Monday."

"Oh right, you actually pay attention to what I say," he nodded, sitting on the bed beside me, pushing my bag out of his way.

I glanced over at him quickly, "as opposed to who?"

"Ryder."

"Ryder listens to you, quit being a baby," I teased him as I leaned back against the pillows propped up against the headboard.

Ace did the same and then picked up my hand, running his thumb over my knuckles. "Not to sound cliche, but guys don't really hash things out like girls. Ryder and I don't talk about our feelings like that, whenever we do, it's awkward."

"Well personally, I like listening to you talk about what's bothering you," I pause. "It makes me feel useful and trustworthy."

Ace let go of my hand and moved his fingers to the front of my hair. His fingers wove through the shorter strands in the front, curling them around. "So you want to know what's been bothering me?"

"Yeah," I told him half-heartedly, watching him play with my hair.

Suddenly, were both lying on our sides, next to each other, propped up on our elbows. "Us."

How could I have forgotten?

"Us?" I repeated, hoping I had heard him wrong. But he confirmed it by nodding. "What about us?" I decided to play the innocent card.