21 | t h e u n e x p e c t e d

I stayed in the room practically the entire weekend, only coming out to use the bathroom and to grab snacks

I stayed in the room practically the entire weekend, only coming out to use the bathroom and to grab snacks. I had made Noah sneak into Ace's room to grab my duffle bag full of my things so I wouldn't have to face him.

It's safe to say that I had not had a good weekend and for the first time, I was ready to go back to school; where I would see Ace. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

On Monday, I moved sluggishly, taking a shower, getting dressed; all the necessary things. Lilli was picking me up five minutes earlier than the time Ace left for school. I trudged downstairs with my backpack on and didn't even stop in the kitchen because
I heard far too many voices.

Her car was already parked on the sidewalk and I hopped in, not even telling her 'good morning.' She gave me the side eye the entire way until that didn't work. So she started sighing dramatically. She wanted to know what had me so upset.

I had yet to tell her because it hurt too much to even think about, let alone discuss for the second time. After I had sobbed to Ryder and Ace about my feelings, I had felt empty inside. I had let my feelings out, why let them crawl back in?

"I know you told me not to ask you about it, but Rose, I'm dying here. I hate seeing you sad," Lilli told me, pleading in her voice.

I sighed dramatically like she had just been doing. "Ace and I's fake relationship is over." She raised an eyebrow. "And so is whatever real one we had too," I added.

"What happened to the plan we came up with on Friday? You know, the whole telling him how you feel about him. It was all romantic and shit. Did it not work?"

I hugged my backpack to my chest. "I never even got to spew how much I wanted to be with him."

"But why?" She egged on. I said nothing. "Alright, Melrose Rae King, I am your best friend. I have been since we were little. And when have I never not been there for you?" I shrugged. "Exactly. Why aren't you telling me why you're sad?"

"Because it hurts," I whisper softly.

We had pulled up to the school and when Lilli Parked, she turned to me. "I know it hurts. But I just want to help you not be sad anymore."

I sighed and opened the car door, taking my backpack with me. Lilli did the same, begrudgingly. "It's stupid. I'm so stupid. We weren't even together yet so I guess what he did shouldn't even make me upset."

"God Rose, what did he do?"

But before I could tell her about finding the boy I liked on top of the girl I now hated, Ace's car pulled into the parking lot. I heard a squeal behind us and I whipped around to see Sophie running toward it.

We watched as Ace got out of the car and walked toward her. And then Sophie kissed him on the cheek but Ace held a hand to her cheek and pulled her into a full on kiss on the lips. I turned back to Lilli, feeling sick to my stomach.