14 | c o o t i e s

I didn't  know what Ace and I were

I didn't know what Ace and I were. I was still playing his fake girlfriend but now that I knew we both had some sort of "feelings" for each other, I didn't know where we stood. We hadn't kissed since the first time three days ago and neither of us had brought it up since our talk.

It was now Friday, aka two days before most of Ace's family went back home. The goodbye barbeque was the next day but Ace planned on hanging out with just me tonight.

At lunch, Ryder talked about how he was going on a "semi-date" with a girl from his economics class that night and Kaz rolled his eyes. "You've talked to her twice dude."

Ace and Ryder frowned at him and Ryder slapped his arm. "She's hot."

"That's no way to talk about your date Park," Ace told him, messing around.

Then it was Ryder's turn to roll his eyes. "Ace, we get it bro, you're all romantic and shit. But not all of us are angels." I laughed too loud when he implied Ace was an angel and he gave me a warning, but playful look.

"Well, I'm sorry that I talk about girls in a less demeaning way," he pouted, bottom lip sticking out and everything.

I leaned forward on the table toward Ace's friends. "Oh yeah he's totally right. Just yesterday he walked up to me and asked, "'what's up hot stuff?"' I mimicked his deep voice.

"That's different!"

Ryder grinned at his best friend. "You're a hypocrite Ace James Carter."

"Oh god, why did you have to go there with the middle name and everything?" Ace complained, placing his head on the table. He covered himself up with his arms until only parts of his brown hair showed through.

Kaz's face remained pretty expressionless but his fingers danced on the table. I figured by now that he hated me. I didn't know what I had done to piss him off so badly but Ace refused to see it.

Once the laughter calmed down from Ryder, I asked Kaz, "Ace and I are hanging out tonight, do you want to come with us?"

I told myself I was doing the right thing by trying to be friends with Ace's best friends; now that I knew he'd stick around after this weekend was over. But Kaz's eyes only widened slightly.

I looked over at Ace and he gave me an encouraging smile, urging me to go on. "We don't know what we're doing yet. We might just go bowling or something and get ice cream afterward. Unless you don't like ice cream; because if not we can totally-"

But before I could say anything else, Kaz stood from the table and walked out of the cafeteria. This time when I looked over at Ace, he looked just as confused as I was. Ryder was silent and started taking massive bites out of his pizza.

I was disappointed that no matter what I did, I couldn't get anything right with Kaz. I was still looking at Ace but his frown turned back into his half smile and he threw an arm around my shoulders. And I relaxed a bit.