Chapter 22

When Liam opened his eyes, he was disoriented at first.

He blinked twice, trying to adjust to the dim light of the room.

He knew where he was. It was his room at Buckingham. But what was he doing there?

He forced his mind to remember.

Wasn't he supposed to go to a museum with Ed? Was this a very vivid dream?

No, he remembered waking up. In fact, he remembered packing lunch for the field trip. They did get in in Ed's truck, and... Oh...

Liam suddenly remembered too well.

They were driving to the museum. Chatting away the drive and then, out of nowhere, a car  going at a ridiculous fast speed lost a little bit of control, diverting off his lane and crashing with them.

Liam took a sharp breath, the memories scaring him.

Suddenly there was a person wearing white clothes hovering over him.

She took his wrist, which had some wires attached he hadn't noticed, and asked, "Hello, dear. Can you give me your name?"

Liam frowned, confused, she didn't know him? Then why was she in his room? Still, he answered, "Liam," he was surprised by his rough voice and throat.

"Liam!" An all too familiar voice called.

Liam immediately lifted head, searching for his cousin. But as soon as he moved his head, a sharp pain went through it.

He squinted his eyes and rested again.

"Easy there," the nurse soothed while she checked other devices placed by Liam's bed.

"Liam!" Louis called again, already by his side.

"Lou," Liam crooked a smile.

He frowned when he took a better look at Louis, whose cheeks were hollow, with no shine in his eyes and bags under them, "You look like shit, mate," Liam said.

Louis let out a tired chuckle, "I could say the same about you,"

"Alright," the nurse interrupted, "Before anything else I'll need to ask some questions. Meanwhile, please let everyone know Liam is awake," She instructed Louis.

While Louis went to the door and told the person guarding it to bring Liam's parents, the nurse asked Liam things like the last thing he remembered and such.

Louis was quickly by his side again, holding his hand.

"But how's Ed? Where is he?" Liam started to ask, "How did I get here? How long has it been?"

Louis took a deep breath before answering, "It's been almost a year since the accident,"

Liam's stomach twisted at the information.

"You know he has to take it easy," the nurse scolded him, "It is December second, Liam. You've been in your condition for three weeks."

Liam looked at Louis, who was smiling at his own prank. He wanted to scold him for scaring him, but he couldn't bring himself to do it because that was how Louis was and he loved him for that.

"And what's my condition?" He asked not feeling anything strange apart from his sore head.

The nurse opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Liam's parents walking in.

"Baby, you're up!" Karen, his mom, sobbed.

Liam noticed they were wearing robes, and had messy hair. He guessed it must be night-time.