Chapter 2

"We're moving!" Mom exclaimed.
"What?" my brothers and I said at the same time. I look at Carter in confusion. Twin powers. Whenever something major happens, we always look to each other. It's a pretty useless power, it means I have to stare at my idiot brother's face all the time.

"Well, we're going to Boston. Harvard offered us this amazing opportunity that we just had to take. I am going to be Chief of Surgery and your mother will remain head of cardio thoracic surgery but your mother is also getting funded to have a research lab for her clinical trial to look for a cure for this rare disease, but I won't bore you with all the medical jargon," Dad smiles proudly at Mom.

"What about Jason?" Thomas asks.

"We pulled some strings and Jason is enrolled in the Boston University honors art program!" Mom exclaims excitedly.

"What about us, Mom? Ryder and I are about to start our senior year and Carter and Arabella their junior year, the two most important years of high school, without our friends? Without all the relationships we've worked? What about college recommendations? How are we supposed to get those done? Did you think about how it would feel to uproot all of us?" Scott speaks up for us. Jason holds up his hand to stop Scott but he continues, "No, Jason. Let me finish. We get that this an amazing opportunity for your guys, but did you not consider the consequences for us? Did you even care? We never see you guys. Not even on holidays. You're always working and it would be selfish of us to ask for you to stop because you're saving lives, but we've had to raise ourselves. How is any of this fair?"

Mom and Dad's faces completely drop, and Mom looks on the verge of tears.

"Now just a minute. I don't think you kids realize just how much we do for you. You are so privileged for that fact that you are all extremely financially stable and will be millionaires your entire lives. You will never want for anything in your lives, and because of this you can pursue any career your hearts desire. Hell, look at Jason. Who knows how he'll turn up - music is by no means a stable career path. So we're a little absent, but don't say we don't care. And you did not raise yourselves," Dad snaps.

"Even if you didn't work we'd be rich because of our grandparents. And how dare you say that about Jason, he is talented and will definitely go far on his skill and dedication, something you would know if you were present. We've had to raise ourselves and Ara. We're all guys, do you know how embarrassing it was for her when she first got her period and thought she was sick? We had to deal with it and explain everything to her. You couldn't have been there for that? Or at least tried to find time to explain it to her?" Carter angrily jumps in.

It looks like everyone is packing in on Mom and Dad. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long - we've all reserved a lot of resentment towards them for their lack of presence.

"You guys wanted a girl so bad, that's why you have so many kids, but you've never even been there for her at least," Thomas sneers. My head snaps to look at him in shock.

"You guys were not all born just because Mom and Dad were trying for a girl, right?" I turn to Mom and Dad for confirmation. They exchange glances and I take the silence as affirmation to Thomas' statement. My heart starts to pound.

"At first, yeah, we really wanted at least one daughter, but we do honestly love all of you equally." Mom puts her hand on Thomas' hand and he flinches it off.

"Yeah, you've really proven how much you love us," he bitterly spats.

"That's enough," Jason interjects, "when are we moving?"

I stare at Jason in disbelief. I don't want to move! I have lived here my whole life. This is the only place I've ever known. Maryland is my home. They can't just take away my home.... can they? I feel like the animals in Over the Hedge.

"You have four days to pack, we've already bought a penthouse in the heart of Boston," Dad answers. Jason nods his head.

"Come on gang, we've got packing to do," Jason stands and starts to exit the cafeteria, without hugging Mom and Dad goodbye. I watch as my brothers wordlessly storm off behind him. I stand and awkwardly send my parents a quick wave goodbye and hurry after my family.

Unedited & written on my phone. Thanks for reading!