Chapter 12

I look up from my novel and see Cole angrily standing in front of me.

"I'm sitting," I state, obviously.

"Yeah, I get that, but why are you sitting here?" Cole asks.

I narrow my eyes, "because I like this spot."

"Well, it's my spot," Cole declares and sits on the bench beside me.

"Really? I don't see your name on it," I argue. Cole points at the bench and I look down and don't see anything. I look back up at him.

He sighs, "look under the bench."

I stare at him for a second and decide not to stand up because the he can take over the whole bench. I flip on my stomach, still on the bench, and look a the bottom. There in broad, rough handwriting I do, in fact, see his name.

I sit back up, "well I got here first so I'm going to stay here."

"What are you doing here? Reading?" He scoffs.

"Yeah, I'm waiting for Ryder's practice to be over," I say. I feel really out of place around Cole. I'm still not over the major display of arrogance he had in gym, but he seems to be acting somewhat decent...ish now.

I turn back to my book and try to get into it.

"So you're not going to leave?" Cole questions and my irritation with him blooms again.

"What are you doing here, Cole? What reason do you have to be lurking on campus after the first day of school?" I snap. He laughs.

"Same reason as you, actually," he states. I raise my eyebrow in confusion, "my brother, Will, has football practice."

When he mentions practice I realized I wanted to watch Ryder play. I'm torn between staying here and sticking it to Cole, or being a good sister and support my brother. The internal battle going on inside my head is exhausting, but in the end I decide to be a good sister. I stand up.

"Alright I'm leaving," I grab my backpack and shove the novel unceremoniously into it.

"I hope it wasn't anything I did," Cole taunts.

"Actually, it wasn't anything you did. I just have to go support my brother," I step over the bench and start walking towards the football stadium when I realize I have no idea where I'm walking. I stop in place and look around, trying to figure out which way to go.

"Lost?" Cole calls out obnoxiously from behind me. I ignore him and try to think where to go. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when Cole taps my shoulder and nods his head towards the school, "come on, I'll show you where it is."

I narrow my eyes and he does the same except he has a grin on his mouth so I know he's mimicking me. We engage in an intense stare down and I get trapped in his eyes. How does such an ugly personality have such stunning eyes. Whoever said eyes are the windows to the soul must have been blind.

I look away and storm into the school, determined to find the stadium without his help. He's trailing behind me and just watching me with a stupid smirk on his face. I ignore him and press forward, choosing at random. I look behind me and see him standing still watching me.

"You're going the wrong way," Cole says. I spin in a circle and look at all the other options. I pick another one and charge ahead. I glance back and see him standing still. He raises his hand and points in the direction I have not yet tried.

I sigh and walk that way. When I pass by him he joins me and we walk somewhat together.

"So what's your deal?" I ask bluntly. He furrows his eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" He asks as we slow our pace.

"Why are you so grumpy all the time," My curiousity finally takes over and I ask.

Cole laughs, "I'm not grumpy all the time."

"Yes you are. You're always either grumpy or mean," I protest and glance at him.

"I'm a person. You shouldn't label me into such stereotypes," Cole states. I stop walking. I do that? Oh, yeah I do that. I keep walking.

"Okay, fine, you're right I don't know you. But you just give off this, hardass vibe," I answer. He laughs.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," He smiles. A real smile. A really nice smile. Damn that boy can smile.

"It was meant as an insult," I mutter.

"Interpretation trumps intention," he shrugs. I involuntarily laugh at his quick comeback. He smiles at me and I look away. We step into the stadium  at the top of the bleachers and I see football practice is in full swing below. I eagerly walk forward and down to the balcony. I lean over it and crane my eyes, trying to spot my brother. I find him and train my eyes on him. I hear a noise beside me and look over to see Cole leaning against the banister. 

I ignore him and starting making my way to the ground level of the stadium. I look behind me to see Cole has disappeared. Weird. I walk onto the edge of the field and scan the sidelines. I spot Thomas and Carter sitting on the bleachers on the side of the track so that they have a clear few of Ryder.

I make my merry way over to them, humming Yankee Doodle because I was feeling dandy. I settle on the bleachers beside my brothers and Carter shoots me a confused look.

"Where have you been?" Carter asks.

"I tried reading The Scarlet Letter and then I decided to come down and support Ryder," I purposefully omit my encounter with Cole - I'm still trying to make sense of it myself. I throw my backpack on the ground beside my feet, and give Ryder my full attention.

Ryder is... amazing. He gracefully weaves through the field like he was born to play. Born. I find myself going back to what I found out about Mom and Dad. I always knew they had... assistance in having kids, but I never knew that it was because they really wanted a girl. They really wanted me? I can't help but feel, after everything, I'm just going to end up one big disappointment.

I mean I can't even make a real friend. I'm hoping that will change with Lucy and Lynn and that's mostly because they're already in love with Will and Clinton, respectively. Back home, even the girls in relationships pined after my brothers. It was really sad. None of them treated me right. They always assumed my brothers hated me because I was the lone girl. What they failed to realize was that my brothers are only interested in girls that can respect me and them. 

I focus back to the field and watch Ryder just killing it. After Ryder successfully executes a complex play, I turn to look at the Coach who is looking extremely pleased. I stand and cheer for Ryder and the practice stops as all the players look at me. Panicked, I look over at Thomas and Carter who look just about ready to laugh at me. Oh great. I sit back down and cover my face with my hair. 

When Coach calls the end of practice I run over to Ryder and he laughs at me sprinting down the field. He lets me hug him tightly and I don't even care about how sweaty and gross he is.

"I'm so proud of you Ryder!" I exclaim and look at him. He laughs, his face golden with sweat.

"Thanks, Ara," I release him and take a step back. Carter comes over with my backpack in his hand and a stern expression on his face.

"Ara, you left your bag on the bleachers," Carter scolds. I shrug and take it back from him.

"It happens," I simply reply. We walk off the field and I notice Ryder's teammates staring at me. I consciously wrap my arms around myself and keep moving. 

We get to the car and Ryder drives us home. We gorge ourselves on celebratory first day lasagna that Jason made and homemade cookie cake. When the boys put on American Ninja Warrior, I retire to my room and lie on the bed. Today was weird and I have a strong feeling that tomorrow is only going to get worse. I remember that we have to go to the hospital tomorrow and a pit of dread settles in my stomach as I drift off to sleep.

UNedited as usual and Thanks for the reading and the comments and the votes and the follows. It all means so much!!  :)