Chapter 14

It's time for me to meet the little bugger that I get to visit every week. I wait at the desk on the children's floor as Amelia escorts us, one by one, to our rooms. Soon, only Thomas and I are left.

"Ara, if you're uncomfortable, I can try and figure out someway so that you're not alone when you meet the kids. Mom and Dad are making us do this, but we can do it on our own terms, not theirs," Thomas says.

I smile at my sweet little brother, "Thank you, Thomas, but I will be fine."

"Are you sure?" Thomas seems unconviced because he knew I was lying out of my ass.

"Eh, we'll see how today goes," I decide. Thomas nod his head in agreement. Amelia comes back to escort me to my room. Room 303. 

"His name is David and he is eight years old, but don't let that fool you. The kid is wise beyond his years. He has terminal cancer but has been doing pretty good this week. His parents are both working around the clock so that they can afford his treatment. Having a visitor will do wonders for him, now off you go," Amelia pushes me into the room before I have time to process the information. A little boy is looking out the window and his head turns when he sees me.

He looks as confused as I am, "Who are you?" 

I smile as warm a smile as I can muster. This kid deserves for me to be bright and cheery around him, "Hi! I'm Ara and I'm going to visit you every week, from now on," 

His face lights up but then darkens, "Why?"

"Well," I take a step forward, searching for what to say. I decide on the truth, "My mother and father work here, and they signed me up for this program where I get to visit you every week. Look I have a badge and everything."

I pull my ID card off from around my neck and hand it to him. David analyzes it and looks up to me.

"Well, I'm David and I want to be a reporter when I grow up. If I grow up, I guess," My heart melts at that, "Can I interview you?"

"David, we can do whatever you want to do," I smile and pull up a chair beside his bed. He smiles a semi-toothless grin at me. His eyes are bright and his chocolate brown hair is in desperate need of a haircut.

"Great!" He exclaims and reaches for a battered composition notebook on his side table and a pen, "This my notebook, la vie, which means life in french. I write everything important in here."

"Okay, where do you want to start?" I ask him. David flips through the notebook, using both of his tiny hands, and opens it to a blank page in the middle of the book, after passing a lot of other blank pages, "Wait why did you skip all of those blank pages?"

"Life doesn't follow a logical order so la vie shouldn't either," He explains, "okay, name"

"I told you, I'm Ara," I remind him gently.

He shakes his head, "Your full name."

"Arabella Jenson," I recite back. He scribbles in La vie.

"Age"

"16"

"Birthday?"

"November 21"

"Favorite Color"

"Purple"

"Favorite Number?"

"9.09," I reply and he stops and looks up at me.

"Your favorite number is a decimal?" he asks.

"Yeah," I shrug.

"Why?" he asks. I think for a moment.

"Because whole numbers are the big numbers that everyone remembers. Decimals are the numbers that are there, but people always forget about. It's like life, there are the big moments that make up your life but the small ones that constitute living," I explain, "9.09 is my older brother Jason's birthday."

David thinks hard for a moment, "I'm going to have a new favorite number, now."

I laugh, "Do you know which one?"

He ponders for a moment and his tiny fingers drum gently atop his chin before he decides, "I'll get back to you on that. Now..."

David continues with his interview and I find myself genuinely caring about the kid. He reminds me of a jumble of qualities of my favorite Disney character. He has the excitement of Tigger, the wisdom of Mother Willow, the enthusiasm of Russel, the determination of Mulan, the strength of Hercules (because he's fighting cancer), the honesty of Olaf and the youthful wonder of Rapunzel.

Time flies and before I know it, Amelia's coming in to tell me it's time to go. I nod my head.

"When will you be back?" David asks. I look at his frail frame.

"Thursday," I announce. I'd come back tomorrow and everyday of my life to spend time with him if I could, but I already promised Lucy and Lynn we would hang out tomorrow.

"Promise?" he asks. I nod my head.

"Promise," I smile. I turn to leave.

"Wait!" he calls back," I turn back around to face him, "Can you bring your guitar and sing for me?"

I laugh, "whatever you want, David."

He nods, content with my answer, and I leave him. I met my brothers in the hall and Carter hugs me tightly.

"I'm with this one little girl who is five, five, Ara, and she is dying but she is so bright and optimistic and beautiful. I'm already wrapped around her little finger and I can't bear the thought of her dying." Carter whispers in my ear.

"I feel the same. I've got a little boy named David who is by far one of the best people I've ever met," I whisper back, "but, Carter, we have to come back. They need us to."

Carter nods and I look back at his face to see tears in his eyes. 

In the car ride back, we tell each other about the kids we've got. It's quickly becomes apparent to us that each of the kids is dying and doesn't really have anyone to be with them all the time. 

I eat a granola bar before bed and as I lie down to go to sleep, I can't help but think about the little boy with the little book known as La Vie.

Unedited & Thanks for Reading!!!