Chapter 13

Today's the day. Day One of Hospital hell. I don't get why Mom and Dad are making us do this. It's not like we're going to be able to see them there. They will probably be in surgery or running around doing doctor things while we're there. If they are doing this to prove that they are good parents, then quite frankly they are failing. I've been starting to realize how little of a priority we are to them. Or maybe I'm just being selfish again. They are saving lives everyday. Ugh, I don't want to think about this anymore.

I shower and throw on the pre-approved outfit my brothers chose for today. It's a long sleeve shirt that I tucked into a long high wasted skirt. It's very fifties-ish but so cute. I think. At least that's what Juan Carlos, my personal brother approved stylist now, called it - fifties chic.

We get ready for school but Jason had to go take care of stuff at college this morning. He came into my bed two hours ago, while I was sleeping and held me for a few minutes. I could feel the smell of his favorite cologne on my pillow when I woke up. Jason is basically my father and I feel bad that he has to fill that role but feel lucky all the same that I have him.

Ryder made my pancakes for me today and because he knew they'd be slightly burnt, he put m&ms in them and put heaps of whipped cream on top. Totally worth it.

We get to school and nothing really happens until lunch. In the hallways, people continue to stare at us because of the novelty that we are. I'm sad to say that I'm sorta of used to it. Well, as much as used to it as you can get.

My brothers and I are eating together - I bought some of the heavenly food that the cafeteria sells and was about to have a honest to god foodgasm - when the Bimbos proudly saunter over. The air around me thickens with the stench of Bimbo One's overpriced perfume and I start to cough. Carter pats my back and the Bimbos are oblivious to me dying in the corner of the table.

"We were wondering if we could join you for lunch," Ashley purrs. I swear she's going to turn into a full cat someday if she keeps this purring thing up. Today the Bimbo pack has grown to include six other girls who flank Ashley, the only Bimbo whose name I currently remember. I'm proud I remember Bimbo One's name. Sort of.

"Actually, we kind of use lunch as family time," Ryder apologizes, clearly not wanting the Bimbos to join us.

Bimbo Two, whose name still escapes me, pouts. A full blown out pout. She leans forward giving me a full blown show and she twirls a strand of her hair. I think she's trying to be seductive but it looks like she's choking on a sour lemon while trying to operate a cotton candy machine with her hair.

"I'm sure you guys can make one exception," she flirts, if you can call that flirting.

Scott sighs, "I'm sorry, Lindsey, but family is really important to us."

Lindsey! That's Bimbo Two's name. I think Bimbo Two suits her better.

"No, we get it," Ashley holds her hand up to her groupies. She slowly walks over to Ryder, her heels loudly clanking on the linoleum floor, she leans down to Ryder's level and starts to purr again, "family commitment is so... sexy."

I sigh and Scott coughs to hide his laughter.

"Glad you understand girls, see you later," Scott dismisses them. They stare at him in disbelief, as if they couldn't believe my brothers would actually send them away. They stalk off and once they're out of sight and hearing range, we burst out laughing.

"Was that real?" Thomas asks. I nod my head.

As the day goes on I talk to Lucy and Lynn more and Carter talks to Will and Clinton. I really like talking to them and I think we're all friends now. We laugh and joke all the time and are always smiling when our whole group is together. Finally, it feels like I fit in somewhere.

Gym class. We have to change into gym clothes so I just wear a tank top and short gym shorts so I can move. I step out of the changing room and it's like my brothers have a radar for me. Ryder walks over with a stern expression on his face.

"Ara, what are you wearing?" he scolds. I look down at my clothes and back up to him.

"Gym clothes, Ryder, it's fine I'm really hot and -" I'm cut off by some pervy guy walking behind me saying "Yeah you are."

Ryder looks like he's going to kill someone, most likely pervy guy.

"Ryder, it's fine, let's go," I pull him to the gym bleachers to where my other brothers are sitting. Coach Greg comes out.

"Alright kiddos, our first unit for the year is Archery," Coach Greg happily announces. My heart drops to my stomach. Really? They want a bunch of hormonal teenage kids to shoot arrows around an enclosed area? I look over at my brothers and see Ryder glaring at pervy guy from earlier. Carter has his eye locked on him as well while Scott and Thomas are glaring at Cole. Oh brothers.

"Listen, boys, promise me you will not purposefully accidently maime or injure the other kids," I cross my arms and glare down at my brothers. Ryder shrugs innocently.

"I wasn't going to hurt anybody," he lies. I scoff.

"Poppycock -" I start as pervy guys comes up behind me.

"Poppy you can rub my-" he starts but I hold my hand up.

"If you value your life, I suggest you leave now before I let my brothers pummel you to your untimely demise," I threaten. Pervy guy clears his throat and walks away, "See boys, I can handle myself. Now go shoot some arrows at the appointed targets, and have fun and be careful."

I consider myself to be a semi-athletic person. I'm pretty decent at a lot of sports, but for the life of me I cannot figure out Archery. It is not as easy as Merida makes it seem. Maybe you have to have widely uncontrolable hair to be good at archery because this hippie looking dude in the corner, who I've dubbed goldilocks, is hitting a bullseye every time. Instead of helping me, my brothers laugh at my lack of skill as do my other 'friends'.

School ends, mostly uneventfully, and we go home. Jason picked us up so we can relax before we go. Ryder's at practice and we're going to pick him up before we got to the hospital. Before I'm mentally prepared, it's time to go to the hospital. I throw on some pants and a long sleeve shirt and follow my brothers down the stairs of our apartment and into the car. We stop by McDonald's to grab a linner sort of meal before we go to the hospital. Thankfully, Ryder showered at school so he doesn't stink up the car.

On the way to the hospital, I try to think of how everything is going to go. I dread getting attached to multiple sick kids or elderly people, and having them die on me. I don't know how Mom and Dad deal with their patients dying. Like the daily decisions they make for there job are actual life and death situations.

We get to the hospital and Jason leads the way to the front desk where we meet the same lady from two days ago, Amelia. She smiles warmly at us when we approach her.

"Welcome Cheif and Dr. Jenson's kids! So, how this works is that each of you will be assigned a patient to visit each time you come here and when that patients is discharged or leaves the hospital for whatever reason, you'll get a new patient to visit with. We'll actually eventually bump you guys up to have around five patients at a time, but for now the one each is good. Ease you guys into the whole system," Amelia explains.

"Wait, we're not going to be together?" Thomas asks. Amelia shakes her head.

"Nope! This way more patients can have visitors. To start with, you will be assigned to terminally ill children," Amelia announces and my heart drops to my stomach. Carter gently rubs my shoulder and I lean against him for support. I take his free hand in mine and squeeze it.

Amelia continues, "I just need you all to sign in here and then I'll take you up to your patients. They're all on the same floor."

We fill out the minimal paperwork and then follow Amelia into the elevator. Jason squeezes my hand and gives me a reassuring nod. I take a deep breath. I can handle this. I am strong. I continue with my mental peptalk all across the hospital.

When we get to the children's floor, I let out an unsure whimper. So this is actually happening.

Unedited & holy cow thanks for reading!!!! I'm going to try and update again today!! Lots of love to all!