Chapter Forty Nine. Prom pt.i

Edited.

Song for this chapter: Rihanna-Diamonds.

The calm before the storm. That's what it felt like. Everything was still, silent. No one was moving, nothing was happening. That was how I knew what was coming was terrible. From the first second I met him, I knew to beware. He was the storm on the horizon. My mistake was spending all this time anticipating it's arrival instead of preparing myself. I didn't recognise my blunder until the rain was pouring and there was no way out.

People say that the worst storms come silently and damn they are right. 

                                                                                                                                                       -K.N.M.

When the knife pierced my neck, my scream ruptured the night and echoed along the damp alleyway. Hot, slick blood trailed down the delicate skin there. I reached up to touch it. My hand came away from the wound shaking and stained, much like my heart felt. I collapsed onto the wet pavement and watched the ruby-hued rainwater flow into the sewer grate nearby.

My blood. My life. Down the drain. Literally.

He had claimed ownership of me as he'd always wanted. I knew tonight hadn't gone as he had planned, something had gotten in the way and ruined how he envisioned tonight going. I knew it was his intention to hurt me, but he didn't know that his failed plans had killed me more than his original ones.

He had stolen a piece of my heart that I had cherished and loved more deeply than the deep, dark oceans could ever love the sun for shinning through and making their waters bright.

I didn't know much in this moment, but what I did know was;

Nothing would ever be the same again.

24 hours earlier...

The stars dazzled in the black sky in a monstrosity of blazing lights. Grayson and Twizzlers were by my side as we lay down looking up at the night sky, the Hollywood sign just in front of us. After our little escape from the man with the torch we had dropped Blake off at his lavish home and had decided to come here for no reason at all but to enjoy our last moments of being young.

''I want this moment last forever'' He whispered, his hand clutching mine like I was his life line and he wasn't ready to let go.

I found myself staring at him, taking in every feature of his face. His emerald eyes shinning up at the stars, how his lips curved up into a smirk knowing I was intently watching him and how yet he didn't move an inch.

I always found myself at random times during the night, walking to the deserted window in my shared bedroom and looking at the stars with the hope that he too would be looking back. Like if I looked hard enough, his reflection would shine through. 

Every time I did, it felt like a comforting hug. Like he was with me mentally but not psychically, it had helped me sleep most nights when I was too curious to know what he was doing. If he was sleeping or listening to music on earphones as he tapped his finger along to the beat on his bedside locker.

Those questions had kept me up most nights, but looking at the stars was like looking into the window of his soul. As though when I did, he knew I was there and I knew he was there too.

''It will'' I answered, my voice promising. ''I use to imagine what life would be like on nights like these, would they be filled with love or a dark hole of emptiness''.