Monster

*language warning*

*briefly inspired by 'The Monster' by Eminem*

She wasn't sure if he had meant that he was a fool for her as a compliment or as a rude remark. She cried herself to sleep anyways.

In the morning, she fixed her hair up in buns in preparation for some training with her new saber. Chewie had gone to help the others with the clearing of the hanger. She left the swamp and walked until she found a clearing for some meditation. Something Luke always did but Rey never was that into it. But it would help with her training, she would try it.

She sat down cross legged in the field, exhaling slowly and closing her eyes as she tried to empty her mind. She needed to feel the Force. Feel what she was destined for. What had the Force been trying to tell her?

A breeze rolled by and whisped at her hair. She shut her eyes tighter, reaching with her heart and mind. She could sense the movement of the watery core of the planet. She could sense the energy of the blades of grass that rest against her knees. She sensed a faint warmth that called to her. She instantly recognized it as Ben.

"Yes, but why him?" She whispered to the Force. She heard the eerie echo of Snoke in the throne room. "Darkness rises and light to meet it." She could feel the tug on her mind from when he attacked her in the throne room. Rey flinched, unable to make it stop, her heart beginning to race.

"The balance." said a soft male voice in her mind. The tug stopped and Rey felt her heartbeat calm at the odd familiarity of the voice she had heard back in the basement of Maz's castle. "These are your first steps."

Her eyes snapped open and she let out a gasp. She looked around but she was completely alone in the field.

The balance. The light meeting the dark. Her first steps. Could it be the Force was trying to tell her she had to work together with Ben?

But Ben was the Supreme Leader of the First Order. How could she work with him against the Resistance? She could never hurt her friends.

She stood up and dusted bits of grass off the scarf tied around her waist. She reached for the lightsaber in her bag, and she could feel its anticipation to be ignited. She turned it on, it humming loudly in the open field.

She took a few practice swings and rotated the saber in her hand, the familiarity of her staff training taking hold. She trained for hours, finally stopping when her arms were beginning to tire.

She sat back down on the grass, massaging her calves from all the lunges. She then hugged her knees to her chest as she recalled the voice from her meditation. 'These are your first steps'. She sighed and hung her head, her forehead resting on her knees. A tear forced it way out of her eye and she quickly wiped it away before getting up to head back to the Falcon.

And as she walked up the open ramp, the blue light that had been watching from the swamp vanished.

XXX

Ben finally got a decent nights rest, free of any Force funny business. Maybe Hux's solution of alcohol and women wasn't so crazy after all. It was late in the day, and it being the end of the work week, the cruiser was quiet with fewer troopers on duty. He made his way to the throne room for some meditation.

He turned on the shades of the windows and the views of the galaxy were covered slowly covered up with a blood red hue.

He relaxed into the throne, taking off his gloves and resting them on the armrest. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back.

"Grandfather." He whispered. He reached out for Anakin in his mind. Hoping for a sign. After all, he had promised to finish what Anakin had started.