Fire Escape

*briefly inspired by 'Fire Escape' by Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness

He heard her take in a nervous breath.

"I don't.... I don't sleep well." He continued, before she could answer.

"I know." She said.

It was quiet again for what felt like an eternity.

"Can.... Can I take a shower first?"

"Anything." Ben said, almost breathlessly.

"And.... And I don't want to wear these." She said. Ben went red in the face.

"I mean nightclothes, Ben. Damn." She said, giggling.

"Fine. I'll see what I can find." he said, shaking his head quickly and looking away.

Rey finished her drink and took it to the kitchenette before heading to the bathroom. Once she was closed off in the bathroom, Ben practically flew out of his armchair.

He quickly paged for the maintenance droid.

"Yes, Supreme Leader. How may I be of service?" Asked the droid as it rolled up to the door of his suite.

"I need a pair of slippers size...... Shit..... Size.... Medium? No, Small.... BOTH. And a set of bedclothes. From the females ward."

"As you command, Supreme Leader."

XXX

Rey found a set of towels under the sink. She set them on the counter next to the sink. The shower was complicated with buttons instead of knobs like her shower on the Falcon. She tested each button to see which one was for, as they weren't labeled. The door to the shower hissed open and closed, the water turned off and on.

Once she was sure she had the right combination figured out, she undressed, letting her clothes fall to the floor. She unwrapped her breasts from the linen she used to keep them supported and slipped out of her underwear. She dropped the undergarments on top of her clothes pile and entered the shower, pressing the button to shut the door after her.

The water was nice and warm. It almost drummed at her back in a massaging manner. She reached up on her toes for an opaque bottle on a shelf built into the wall. She opened the lid and gave it a sniff. It smelled like vanilla and spices. Her memory flashed to the morning she had smelled this same scent on the pillow in her bed. Her body tingled at the thought. The soap was soft as she washed herself. The heat from the water had begun to fog the glass walls of the shower.

"Rey?"

She jumped at the sound.

"Rey, I'm setting clothes on the counter." She heard him say, his voice muffled from the noise of the shower.

"Okay." She replied, speaking loudly over the sound of the drumming water.

She was lucky the glass was fogged.

XXX

He was annoyed the glass was fogged. He still could see her silhouette though, which was better than nothing. He looked on for a moment and he could feel his pants tighten at the thought of her naked in his shower.

He quickly shut the door, taking a quick breath to calm himself.

'Get a hold of yourself'. He told himself. 'She's just here to sleep.'

He went back to the door of his suite and summoned for the trooper who monitored his floor.

"I want that maintenance droid reassigned to the kitchens. Assign a new maintenance droid to my suite." He demanded.