Potions Class*

(Vienna, September 2nd, 1943)

    I knew they were talking about me. I resisted the urge to turn around and ask them what they were saying, but I didn't want to cause trouble on my first day, especially not with Tom Riddle. That would be the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing. Slightly smiling to what I assumed was a first year Hufflepuff, I let out a small sigh and carried on my merry way to Potions class. All of the sixth year Slytherin and Ravenclaw students were standing outside the classroom, awaiting Professor Horace Slughorn.  "You're a Prefect?" The voice of a girl reached my ears. I turned to the sound of the voice and found myself looking at a pretty Ravenclaw girl. "Yes, I am," I say to her, and she gives me a timid smile. "I'm Olivia Matthews. I'm a Ravenclaw Prefect." She says, holding out her petite hand for me to shake. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Olivia. I'm Vienna Marcus." I say taking her hand. "I know. You're the talk of Hogwarts lately." She says to me while giggling. "Yes, that's what I hear," I say, shooting her a smile, and letting go of her hand. "If you're a Prefect, how come you haven't been to the meetings?" She asks, her face curious. "I'm still adjusting to the castle. I'll probably start duties in October." I answer her question timidly, and she nods in understanding. 

    I take in the appearance of the girl beside me. Her black hair was pulled back in a tight bun, her heart-shaped face was full of freckles and her blue eyes were regarding me. "You're the first person in a different house that's actually talked to me. I think everyone's a bit...scared of me." I say to her. She glances behind me. "Well, I pride myself on being honest Vienna," she begins, meeting my gaze again, "it's not you that they're scared of." I turn my head and Tom falls into sight. He was conversing quietly with his followers, and not paying attention to the other students around him. I look back at Olivia, who had followed my line of sight. "I've heard," I say to her, and she looks at me surprised. "You know about Riddle?" She asks. "Yeah. It's hard not too," I begin, shrugging my shoulders, "but he hasn't been horrible to me." Her eyes go wide for a moment before she leans into me. "Yet. He hasn't been horrible to you yet." I find myself standing taller, looking back at Tom who was already looking at me curiously. "I've met a monster before Olivia," I say to her, my gaze still holding Tom's before looking to the girl beside me, "trust me, I can survive Tom Riddle." Hopefully.

    "My apologies my dear children!" Barreling towards the group of students, was Professor Slughorn himself, his breath was ragged and his giant belly reached us before the rest of him did. "I was having an invigorating conversation with a colleague of mine, now in, we have a class to begin do we not?" The door to the Potions classroom opened, and we were all herded in by the Professor. As soon as I got through the door I came to a halt, not knowing who to sit beside and feeling quite nervous. "Sit with me Vienna?" Olivia's voice came towards me, and I found her waving me over to a desk in which she already claimed. I made my way over to her, trying to ignore the murderous gaze Tom had bestowed upon me. I sent him a questioning look, but he turned his head away and began pulling out his book. Once I made it to the desk, I began doing the same and gave a shrug to Olivia who was giving me a questioning look. 

    "Now," Professor Slughorn began, "welcome to Advanced 6 Year Potions!" There were groans around the room, and Slughorn huffed. "Now now," he begins again, "Potions is an amazing subject. With a potion, you can tilt the balance between life and death, cure an illness, grant yourself luck, become another person, and even create love!" I glanced at Tom, whose face had turned to marble. "Unfortunately, we won't be creating any Potions today, but tomorrow the excitement begins!" There were groans again at the Potion-masters words and I found myself suppressing an eye-roll. With a flick of his wand, the Professor began handing out the syllabus for the class and began his lecture. 

    I found myself drifting off into my own thoughts. A dangerous place to be as of late. The twins and I had quite perfected potions. I had helped them begin their business, and even create a few products myself. I had learned a lot from Fred and George, we had been in the same year, and by my fourth year, I seemed to have fallen for the infamous Fred Weasley. We had become almost as inseparable as him and his twin. We had been together up until the end. The room had suddenly shifted in front of me, and darkness swallowed my vision. Oh no. Not now.  I was in the Great Hall, staring down at a body, one with red hair and a smile on his face. It's not real Vienna. Throwing my hands over my ears, and squeezing my eyes tight, I kept repeating the mantra. It's not real. "Vienna?" A soft voice broke through my dark thoughts, and a warm hand was shaking me gently. I slowly opened my eyes and thanked Merlin that nobody seemed to have noticed my brief lapse of sanity. I looked to my left and saw the worried face of Olivia. "I'm alright," I whisper to her, trying to get the tremble out of my voice and body. She nods slowly and focuses her attention back to the still lecturing Professor. I glance around the room and find my eyes focusing on chocolate brown ones. Chocolate brown? How am I just now noticing that? Tom was looking at me intently, and an unwanted tremor wracked through my body under his intense gaze. He had seen.