Always You*

(Vienna. October 30th, 1943)

    A blinding light was all I saw when I opened my eyes, and they rested on a terrified face in front of me. Tom was staring at me wide eyed, his face as pale as a ghost and his breathing heavy. I sucked in a breath and start coughing violently, as he gently tries to roll me to my side, trying to aide in the emptying of my lungs. My chest was aching, but my body didn't care as I continued to clear my lungs of gross lake water. "What is happening?" The voice came from my left and I turn my head slightly to see the huffing Potions Professor. I timidly sit up slowly, taking in the terrified tear-stricken faces around me. I glance to Tom, who was drenched in water and I realize that Tom Riddle had been the one to save me. My face turns to one in shock and disbelief at my revelation. He's coming to save you. The Giant Squid had even told me that he was coming to save me, but did I really hold a conversation with the infamous lake monster? 

    "You saved me." I stated, already knowing that he did, but my oxygen deprived brain was still trying to comprehend. He nods his head, and I find myself flinging my arms around him. I was hugging Tom Riddle... in gratitude. The mere fact that I was hugging him was unbelievable, and it became practically impossible when Tom Riddle slowly hugged me back. What the hell was happening? "We need to get her to the Hospital Wing." I looked up at Septimus, my arms still wrapped tightly around Tom, and gave him a look. "I'm not going to the Hospital Wing." I say, my voice weak and my chest beginning to fill with pain. I have spent too much time in that Hospital Wing, and if I could avoid it at all costs I would. "Vienna," Olivia's face appeared in front of me, and I take note of how horrible she looks, "you just drowned. Tom had to bring you back to life, you need to go to the Hospital Wing." She says carefully, her voice shaking, but knowing full well my views about the Hospital Wing. "Back to life?" I pull away from Tom, and grasp his shirt tightly in my hands. He nods his head again, and takes an unsteady breath. "You were dead Vienna. I remembered seeing a muggle boy get saved once, using chest compression's, so I used them. A few of your ribs are probably broken." With his words, a sharp pain fills my chest, and I suck in a breath, laying my head on Tom's shoulder. "Fine." I say, trying my best to ignore the pain. "I expect a full explanation on what happened here. Get her to the Hospital Wing." Professor Slughorn says, turning around and wobbling back up to the castle. Much help he is.  "I'll accio a stretcher." Septimus says, pulling out his wand. "There's no need for that Weasel. I'll carry her." My face turns to one of confusion before Tom takes me into his arms bridal style and stands slowly. "I can walk perfectly fine." I say, struggling to get out of Tom's arms, but not trying to hard. "You just died Vienna." Tom's voice is low, and I can feel it reverberate through his chest. 

    I give up my struggling when a confusing exhaustion sweeps over me, and I lay my head in the crook of Tom's neck. He stiffens at my actions, but relaxes after a bit. "Thank you for saving me Tom." I say quietly, my eyelids getting heavier with each step he takes. "Let's not make a habit of it." He says coolly. "I'm never going near the lake again." I say, closing my eyes and letting my thoughts drift. Tom chuckles at my statement, and the action causes me to smile. His chuckle is nice.  I shoot my eyes open at the thought, jumping slightly and hissing in pain. "Quit moving Vienna. Just...relax. We're almost there." Tom says to me, pulling me closer to him in the process. The biting cold leaves us as we enter Hogwarts castle, but my teeth remain chattering. "How are you not cold?" I ask him, closing my eyes again and trying to stop my tremors. "Adrenaline." He states, and I nod my head in understanding. "I'm tired." I say offhandedly, and Tom halts in his walking and looks down at me. "Don't fall asleep. Not yet." His face was full of worry as he says the words, and I nod my head again, blinking rapidly to stay awake. He continues his walking, and I can hear whispers around us from the students we pass. It confuses me for a moment, until I remember that Tom and I are both drenched and Tom was, in fact, carrying me through the halls. "Can't wait to hear those rumors." I say, causing Tom to chuckle again. 

    "You said you saw a muggle boy getting saved once. Where was that at?" I ask, remembering his statement from earlier. He releases an agitated breath but answers me anyway. "I grew up in an orphanage. Every summer they'd take us to the beach, and one of the children drown." He doesn't say anymore, and I decided now would not be the best time to question him further. Him telling me that he grew up in an Orphanage was already a big step, even though I probably knew more about Tom Riddle than Tom Riddle knew about Tom Riddle. What? I shake my head at the confusing predicament, and look towards the looming doors of the Hospital Wing. "Don't make me." I say tiredly, gripping onto Tom and relishing in the fact that he doesn't stiffen at my touch again. "You have too Vienna." He says quietly, walking into the Hospital Wing and glancing around for the Matron. "What's happened?" Madame Ducane's voice comes from her office, and Tom turns towards it. The old Matron comes out and stops at the sight of the two of us before her. "Madame Ducane, there was an incident." Tom says, and the Matrons eyebrows rise in question. "Vienna drown and I had to bring her back to life. Some of her ribs are probably broken." He says quickly, and the Matron's eyes open wide in shock. "Miss. Marcus why is it always you?" That's a good question.