Alive*

(Vienna. January 8, 1944)

     What am I doing? My eyes roam around the empty room, finding myself slightly bewildered with the space, and sighing heavily to myself. Somehow I had found myself in the Room of Requirement, the familiar red and gold of the walls and decor brought an equally familiar sadness to me. I practically throw myself onto one of the couches and my eyes gaze into the fireplace, hoping that maybe the crackling of the flames will bring me some peace of mind. I don't know how long I lay there before a sudden rush of wind fills the room, causing me to smile slightly and let out a quiet "Hello."
    The figure chuckles at my greeting and makes his way to the lone armchair, flicking his hand and turning the chair to a emerald green. "May I ask what it is your doing Vienna?" His voice has all but lost its snake like hiss, and I take a glance at the man before me. The stubble on his head had grown out somewhat, and his brown eyes are watching me curiously. A feeling of happiness fills me for a brief moment at the changes, before my face falls with his question. "I have no idea." I say to him, looking away from the handsome man and back to the fireplace. He sighs with my words and leans his arms on his knees. "I can see that." He says, the words aren't said with any sort of malice, they're almost said with an almost unwavering care. "I don't know what to do Tom." I begin, my eyes already beginning to fill with tears and my heart suddenly pumping faster. "I feel so hopeless. I don't know where I'm supposed to go from here." He hums in acknowledgement at my words and he too looks into the fire. "You've done well so far. You're making progress faster than I even thought you would." My eyes look to him, and he turns his attention back to me. "Tell me what's really bothering you Vienna." I find myself swallowing a lump in my throat and the tears beginning to fall. "Were you there?" I ask him, scared to know the answer but knowing I had to know. He looks at me, a change had fallen upon his features and his eyes fill with grief. "If you stay on the path you are on, I will be." He says the words as I close my eyes with them. "It's almost impossible to believe." I say to him causing him to chuckle once again.
     It's quiet once again, as we both look into the flames, before he speaks again. "I don't have anything planned for the rest of the year. Now would be your time to try to get...close to me." I snort with his statement, and sit myself up on the couch. I wipe away the tears that had fallen and give him a hard look. "That too is almost impossible. It's difficult trying to get...through to you." I say, he gives me a small smile before answering. "I don't let anyone in." I roll my eyes at his very obvious words and let out a sigh. I look to the man before me, noticing all the changes once again and a sudden realization hits me. "You've already let me in." I say waving my hand at his drastic change in appearance. He sends me his signature smirk, one that seems will be able to stand the test of time. "I'm like this because eventually I do." I nod, and clear my throat. "What's it like there?" I ask him, the words falling out of my mouth before I can stop them. "It's not a good idea to dwell on thoughts of the future Vienna. I know, that it's hard for you, but it will only bring you sadness." My face falls with his words and look back into the fire. I hear a heavy sigh come from him, before he shifts on his chair. "They don't remember you." His voice is soft, and the words cause me to let out a sob.
     Having my fears confirmed breaks my heart a little bit, knowing fully well that I already knew they wouldn't. Why would they? A daughter born in place of a son. My heart aches for my parents that will never know me. Somehow between my muffled sobs I ask him a question. "How...come....you...remember?" He moves now, he makes no sound as he sits beside me on the couch and a heavy hand lays on my shoulder. "Because of the potion." He answers, patting my shoulder gently in means of some sort of comfort. "Eventually, my memories will blend with my past self. When that happened, I'm not quite sure." I nod my head with his words, and finally allow myself to gather my bearings once again. "I don't have very much time Vienna." I nod again, knowing that he has limited visit times. "Thank you Tom. I promise I'll get myself straightened out." He let's out another chuckle again, gives me another pat before standing and taking a few steps away from me. "I will let you know one more thing Vienna. I feel like it will help." I look at him, my eyes questioning and a fear filling me. "They're all alive." In the blink of an eye he's gone, and I'm left staring at the spot he was just in. The fear being replaced with a growing sense of joy and determination. I let the feeling fill my whole being before I stand and exit the familiar room. My steps are now different, more light and happy. As I make my way towards the common room, one thought flows through my head. They're alive.