Talks In The Common Room*

(T.M.R. September 2nd, 1943)

    The first day had been boring. The classes were full of lecturing professor's and reviewing the syllabus for each class. I was now sitting in the common room, watching the green flames in the fireplace flicker and dance. It was close to curfew, and luckily for me, the Hufflepuff and Gryffindors had rounds tonight. My Knights had already retired for bed, and the common room was quiet. Most students didn't stay while I was here, and I enjoyed the silence. I heard the portrait door open and close, and looked to the girl that had come through the door. She stopped when she saw me, and glanced around the room. "It's awfully quiet in here." Vienna's curls had fallen flat throughout the day, and her tired eyes were regarding me carefully. "I prefer the silence." I say to her. She scrunches up her face at my words. "I don't," she begins, "may I sit?" She waves her hand to the couch, and I nod my head. She sits quietly, and pulls out a book. "Didn't you just leave the library?" I ask her. After meeting the Ravenclaw girl this morning, they had already become friends, and spent the evening in the library. "Yes, but I enjoy reading." She answers my question without looking up from her book. 

    I had witnessed whatever had happened with her this morning in Potions class, and I was itching to ask her about it. The fear upon her face made it clear to me that maybe Vienna wasn't as stable as what she let on.  I did know, that Vienna was powerful. I could practically feel the magic that emanated from her. If there's one thing I want, it's power, and Vienna had it. In order to gain her power though, I had to get her to trust me, and then I had to break her.  Her mind was obviously fragile, considering she has to receive sleeping draughts from the matron, and along with what I had witnessed this morning. In order to get what I wanted, I had to pretend to be her most trusted companion, a shoulder to cry on. I needed to learn her weaknesses, and then I'd use them against her. I was a master of manipulation. I have managed to manipulate every single person in this school, with the exception of Albus Dumbledore, but I didn't need him. 

    I watched Vienna as her purple irises scanned the pages of the book she was reading, and she was curled up in a ball. It's time. "Are you alright Vienna?" I ask her, forcing the worry into my voice. She let's out a deep sigh and closes the book she was reading. "I knew you'd ask me about it." She says to me quietly as she sets the book back into her leather rucksack. "I'm just concerned." I say, resting my elbows on my knees, and staring at her intently. Full attention. She meets my gaze, but holds her face blank. "I'm fine." She says, emphasizing the 'fine', and giving me a hard look. "I know you're lying." I say to her, returning the same look. "What do you want me to say Tom?" She asks, letting out another sigh, and hugging her knees. "You don't have to say anything, just know that I'm here for you." I say, leaning back into my armchair and looking back to the fireplace. I could feel her gaze on me, as she contemplates what to say. "You're lying." She says quietly, and my eyes snap to hers. "Why do you say that?" I ask her, my tone harsh and demanding. Despite the change in my tone, Vienna doesn't even react. "Do you really want to know?" She asks, her head tilting to the side and an eyebrow rising. "Yes. I do." I say, mimicking her movements and causing her to chuckle. The familiar angers rises within me, and have to hold myself back from cursing  her. 

    Vienna stands suddenly, throwing her bag over her shoulder, and spinning on her heel. She begins to head to the girls dormitories, and my anger is about to boil over. "Marcus!" She stops at the sound of her name. I had stood, and was now standing right behind the girl. She lets out another sigh, and turns around to face me. "I'm not scared of you Tom." She says quietly, looking up into my eyes. "You should be." I growl, taking a step closer to her, but instead of backing away like most do, she takes a step forwards as well. Her neck is now strained from looking up at me, and she's so close the familiar scent of roses reaches my nose. I resist the strange urge to breathe in her smell, and continue to glare at her. "I've heard things about you Tom." She says, meeting my glare defiantly. "What things?" I ask her. 

    "It doesn't matter." She begins, and puts up a hand to stop me from saying anything. "Let me finish." She takes another deep breath, and continues. "I've been through some horrible things Tom. Things that would even scare you. I've been tortured, I've been beaten, I've watched my friends and family be murdered right in front of my eyes. I've met a monster, looked him straight in the eye, and told him to kill me." Her eyes had turned glassy with each word, and her voice had begun to tremble. "You don't know what it's like. You will never know what it's like. I can tell when I'm being lied to Tom, and let me tell you this. I am not fragile. I am not broken. I am stronger than you could ever imagine. Because despite all of the things I've been through, I survived. I still have hope. I'm still good. I will not allow anybody to use me anymore. Not you, not your friends, not anybody. I hope that one day Tom, you'll say those words to me, and one day, I'll know you're telling the truth. But until that day comes, just know, that I have faith in you." Her tears had fallen from her eyes, and my anger had seemed to disappear completely. She wipes her cheeks furiously, and gives me a small tentative smile. "Goodnight Tom." With her words, she turns back around and vanishes up to her room. I'm left staring at the spot she had just been in, and my brain trying to process all of the things Vienna had said to me. The most important one kept repeating in my head over and over again. She had faith in me.