The Rain*

(Vienna. November 6th, 1943)

    It was almost midnight, the air was thick with tension and my heart beat in apprehension. I had felt the powerful magic that swept through the castle only mere minutes ago, and I knew what it meant. Tom had found the Basilisk, and he was very very angry. I knew he'd find it sooner or later, but the thought had still scared me. I had found myself walking to the courtyard, staring out into the darkness, only the lightning throwing occasional glimpses into the dark. The thunderstorm was violent, and it seemed to almost represent my own emotions. I had learned all I had needed to know from Alexander, and I had the answers to the questions that lingered in my mind. But yet, my brain was refusing to accept the answers, and I was living in a constant state of denial. I was terrified of my fate. Perhaps it wasn't fate, but destiny. Either way, I couldn't bring myself to accept it. 

    Despite my fear, another part of me was willing to embrace it, to come to terms with what will happen. I took a shuddering breath, breathing in the fresh scent of the rain and the smell of the damp walls around me. I found it calmed me a bit, and I hesitantly put my hands out in front of me, letting the cold of the November rain hit my open palms. My eyes closed at the drum of the steady rain and the turmoil in my mind began to quiet. My bare feet begin to move, and the fresh breeze blows my sleeping gown around me, twirling my already messy hair around my head as well. My arms cross across my chest as I step fully into the pouring rain that completely soaks me within seconds. I stand there for a few moments, fighting back the chill, and trying to focus on the rain drops that fall upon my skin. I find that drum again, and let it completely consume me. My face raises towards the sky, and a breath of relief escapes my lips. My mind was quiet and for once in over a week I could think clearly again. "You'll find that sometimes, in rare occurrences, that nature will provide you with what you need. It's a gift from your druid lineage." A gift indeed. Alexander's words ring true in this moment. I needed this violent storm, the steady downpour of its rain, to be able to calm myself and think clearly. A small smile graces my lips, before a dark presence enters my calming bubble. 

    "What are you doing?" His voice is dangerously low, and the anger still seeps from him. I don't answer him, trying to find my calm again, and hoping he'll leave. "You do realize it's after curfew." I let out an agitated sigh, and slowly turn towards the angry man behind me. I suck in a breath at his appearance. His crimson black hair is disheveled, making him look both insane and devilishly handsome at the same time. His chocolate brown eyes have turned almost black from the anger that has seemed to consume him, and his usual wrinkle free uniform has creases and dirt upon it. I give him a hesitant look, before clearing my throat, and holding my arms tighter against me. "I could ask you the same thing." I say to him, voice steady and eyes trained on his every move. He huffs in irritation and rolls his eyes at me. "None of your business girl." He practically spits out. "Girl? Really Tom?" I ask him, my blood beginning to boil at him calling me a 'girl'.  "Yes. Girl. I suggest you get back to the common room before I give you a detention." As he speaks the words a decision comes to my mind. It was as if someone had cast Lumos within my head, and I realized that I needed to embrace my fate. I gazed upon the man in front of me, completely cloaked in darkness and anger seeping from his every pore, and I didn't want that for him. 

    "There's a strange beauty to the rain." The words fall from my lips as if it was a passing thought, and Tom's face becomes a look of confusion and irritation. "What?" He asks me, standing straighter in front of me. "A violent storm such as this isn't a hindrance. Most hide from the storm, preferring to stay dry and warm. But I have found, that the storm signals a new beginning. The rain seems to wash away all the horrors of the day, as the cold seeps into your bones it chases away all the anger, confusion, fear, and replaces it with a relieving calm. I am standing in the rain, because the steady drum of the sound and feel of it, has brought a calm to me that I needed. Sometimes, you have to brave the storm to see the light on the other side." I smile at the confused look on Tom's face, and take steady steps into the dry air beside him. I tentatively lay a hand on his arm and his body becomes tense. "Maybe you should try it sometime Tom." With my words, I make my way away from him, leaving him there to ponder my words. Before turning the corner, I take a glance back at him, and find Tom Riddle stepping into the rain.