The Giant Squid*

(Vienna. October 30th, 1943)

    Have you ever wondered what it felt like to drown? Most people wouldn't wonder those sorts of things, but some do. I can tell you from current experience, that it's terrifying. A solid black is all that surrounds me, as I sink deeper and deeper into the Black Lake. My lungs were slowly filling with the dirty water surrounding me, and the cold was slowly stopping my limbs from moving, but I still struggled. It's funny how just a few months ago I fought so hard to survive in a war, and here I was drowning in the Black Lake. I went back in time, 50 years, just to drown. My life suddenly became a giant cosmic joke. Vienna. There's that voice again, who the bloody hell was that and how did they get inside my head?

    A giant light erupted around me suddenly, and not far from me was the infamous Giant Squid. It was staring at me, and I realized that the squid was the one who had gotten me in this situation in the first place. I was only trying to help. Merlin's beard, it's the bloody squid that's talking to me. How is this thing inside my head? Is this even real? I'm drowning and going crazy at the same time. Of course it's real Vienna. I just wanted to meet you. I'm sorry it was like this. My vision was now turning black, and my arms and legs were beginning to freeze. I'm going to die. A few months ago, I was prepared to die willingly. I was prepared to greet Death himself, just so I could be with my family, and with Fred. Why has that suddenly changed now? Why don't I want to die anymore? He's coming to save you. Hold on a little longer. 

Whoever he is, he's going to be too late. The world around me grew black again and in the distance I could see a tiny speck of light gliding towards me. As it got closer and closer, my limbs gave up struggling, and I sucked in a breath of lake water and began choking. As the last of my air ran out, I gazed longingly towards the light, and listened to the sound of my slowing heart. The light is so close. I found myself reaching for the light, using the last of my remaining strength, before my heart stopped completely, and my world turned black. I'm sorry Tom.