The Horizon: A History

There is a certain magic in the horizon, this I have always known to be true.

In the early years of this earth's existence, most humans thought the horizon was proof that the sky ended at some point, and that if you kept on going straight, you'd eventually meet up with the end of the world.

In this theory, the horizon symbolizes the very end of life itself. It was the all consuming finishing to a world or a life or a dream.

Where there is an end, there is a beginning, you must realize when thinking about the horizon.

According to most thought, the world must exist before you can travel to the end of it. There must first be a starting point to which you can make it to the finishing point.

In old Greek myths, a sun god and his trickster created the world and all its inhabitants together. The sun, in essence, was responsible for the creation of life, all life that is sustained on the earth.

I like to think about the sunrises in the mornings as if it is the beginning of the world, and the sunsets at the last of the day, as the ending. From the sun, the world and life itself springs forward in beautiful colors that remind us all of how special it is to exist. And at the finish of the light, the world ends in the same cataclysm of silent colors, signaling a stunning end to a glistening beginning.

There's a certain infinity in the horizon; for it is both the beginning and the ending of everything.