Human Race

we too easily find security in the now, as if a future isn't something we must act on in the present.
we chalk our laziness up to being too young, or too poor, or too busy.
we must realize that excuses only pave way to the same old reality of the tragedy we live.
children die in the streets out of hunger,
women are raped by their fathers because their mothers are always drunk,
teenagers get so deep down into their depression and hatred for existence that they open fire on crowds of innocent bystanders.
gay men and woman are taunted in the hallways as they hold hands with their same sex partners, as if love can only look like the black and white stereotypes this society tries to define it as.
immigrants are being put into cages only because they wanted to escape the war torn country their children would be killed in.
fires are raging and destroying our world,
our single man in power is acting as if the world's global warming doesn't exist,
rapists are getting seats in our Supreme Court,
and yet,
down to its most basic proponent,
when you are given the chance to do something,
to do anything,
you don't.

when you see the kid sitting alone at lunch,
you refuse to sit with him.
when you witness the depressed teenager walking through the school alone, you don't think to say hello.
when you are asked to vote for the people who can't, you skip out on the polls.

we often stay sitting in the security that the now's problems won't exist in the future, but if we keeps settling for this borderline dystopia, it is the only thing our later generations will ever know.

we have the power to change the world, don't you see that?
we must never find comfort in complacency,
we must never give up.

as long as there is poverty, shootings, prejudice, inequality, sexual abuse, lungs that pump air, and hearts that beat,

we still have work to do.

-S