Momma Knows Best

The greatest lesson my mom ever taught me was forgiveness.

She told me that forgiveness brings healing and life needs less broken pieces. She taught me a lot about how to be a person; she told me that life is going to want to smack you down the second you've picked yourself back up. She told me that these rigid days don't care about your feelings, and the only way to beat the pain of this world is to love.

Love, she told me, as if you've only ever been loved in return. As if loss is merely a darker shade of blue in the sky, as if it only exists for those who let it. Love in a way that makes the sun shine just a little bit brighter.

Love people enough to forgive them after they've made your world collapse. My mom told me forgiveness and love go hand in hand. She said that the only thing stronger than love is the person who refuses to acknowledge its existence; and at the end of the day, when you're crying your eyes out because of someone's actions toward you, remember that each tear you shed is only a moment more you let those people win.

So forgive. Love them the same before and after they break you apart, because my mom told me that life is better lived without grudges or hatred. Do not blame someone for how they hurt you, you must rise above and realize that this was a sign that maybe there are better things coming.

My mom told me recently, "this too shall pass." So let it pass in whatever your struggles may be. No matter what hurt you are feeling, remember that this pain is temporary.

Believe that things are better behind the screen someone has built around you. All you must do is grow tall enough to leap over it.

-S

————————————————
I forgive.
I love.
Harder than I ever have before.

"Be forgiving. Know that the living with the burden of anger is not living." -sk