•Twenty One•

Niall scrunched up his face watching his mom’s nervous fingers constantly redo his tie.

“Mom.” She looked up at him as he grabbed her wrist gently.

“It’ll go smoothly, don’t worry.” Niall soothed.

“I hope so.” A tear slid down Maura’s pale face.

“It’ll be the first annual christmas dinner without Zayn.” She whispered loud enough for Niall to hear.

“Hey, hey, hey. Look at me.” She looked up at him.

"Everything is going to be okay, just think about happy things. If Zayn were here you know he would say the same." Niall soothed his mother rubbing her back gently.

"Yes. You're right. Well c'mon, we're hosting this year." Maura headed out of his room and down the stairs to check on the needs of the party. Niall looked at himself in the mirror. He then looked down at his phone looking through his texts.

"Jade where are you." He mumbled scrolling through their texts seeing that she never answered any of his messages.

"Niall!"

"Comin' now." Niall headed to his mother as she realized she had no more space on the counter to place the ham.

"Hah, that's a lot of food."

"Yes dear, would you mind taking some sides to the table?" He nodded taking over the small stuff like mash potatoes and the vegetables. There was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it." Niall said going to the door, he opened it seeing Louis and Johannah.

"Lou! Johannah!" He kisses Johannah's cheek letting them in and grabbing their jackets from them.

"Mom is in the kitchen." He told Johannah letting her nod and walk to her. Louis hugged Niall.

"How you doing?" Louis asked taking a seat on the couch.

"I'm good, how about you?" Niall said joining him.

"Same, is Liam coming?" Louis said lowly.

"I think so, want to tell me why you're so antsy about Liam?" Niall smirked making Louis freeze.

"Erm. Uh." Louis trailed looking up at the ceiling.

"Oh just tell me." Niall chuckled.

"Fine, we're together." Louis muttered looking down as his face started to redden.

"Ahah! I knew it!" Niall shouted loudly as he started feeling like he found out the evil mastermind that hid under the monster suit from Scooby Doo and the Mystery Gang. In which he loved watching when he was a little boy.

“What how?”

“I’m a genius.” Niall smirked crossing his arms to strike a signature pose.

“You are one weird boy, Horan.”

“As to you my good man.”

As the two boys continued talking a knock was on the door, Niall went to answer, being the gentleman that he was, to see Anne, Harry and Kaylor standing at the door. Niall breathed in deeply smelling the sweet aromas of Anne’s famous double chocolate cake with a light delicate layer of frosting. Niall’s stomach rumbled in approval.

“Oh yay! Dessert will be awesome tonight.” Niall excitedly said before moving out the way letting them through.

“Oh Niall. You are not allowed to eat this.” Anne said seriously.

“Wait what?” Niall’s voice cracked as if he was about to cry.

“Oh sweetie I’m just teasing.” Anne smiled giving him a hug. Niall released a long breath while the boys started laughing at him. Kaylor fluffed her light green dress after hanging up her coat. She joined Louis on the couch as Niall and her mother talked walking to the kitchen.