Six

A Week Later

     Braden opened the door to the orphanage and she was sort of surprised when she saw all of the orphans cleaning like crazy. Some with dustpans, brooms, paper and windex, and any cleaning supplies. 

     There's only two reasons as to why their cleaning. 

     1. Sir Locks is just being cruel and made them clean until it's completely spotless.

     2. Future parents are coming soon to see who they want to adopt.

     Braden went with the latter. If it actually reasons number one, Sir Locks would have been here, with some orphan by their hair and yelling at how ungrateful and useless every single one of them are.

     But Sir Locks wasn't anywhere to be seen, which probably meant that he was out.

     Braden bumped into Heather while going up the stairs. Nina was close behind Heather. 

     "Ugh, you're home." Said Heather.

     Braden ignored her. "Are they coming soon?" She asked Heather.

    Heather knew what she was talking about. She nodded and made a face. "Not that it matter to you and I. They only come for the little ones."

     Nina looked surprised and sort of excited once Heather said that. Maybe she thought that she would be able to get out of this place. 

     Heather and Nina brushed passed her.

     Braden smiled sadly to herself. She was close to Nina's age when she came and she thought the exact same thing when she heard some of the older orphans say that.

     But when they did came, they did just come for the little ones. But she wasn't considered little to them.

     She went to room she stayed at and just hoped that maybe Nina would get adopted.

     She was just like every single orphan in here when they first came here. 

    Still with an innocent mind, with high hopes, and a bright out look of the world.

     But now, all they see is the bad in the world. And some of them have even given up on hope.

     She lay on the small bed she shares with another girl, but she wasn't here right now so she had it all to herself.

     Braden had her eyes closed for about ten minutes when the door creaked open.

     It was a little boy. 

     There weren't many boys in the orphanage, they were only about fifteen and the rest girls. They are also separated and put in another room.

     This boy's name was Jack. He came here when he was just about two years old, he's now seven. Jack couldn't talk when he came here, so none of the orphans knew his name, only Sir Locks. The orphans just gave him a name.

     Jack came up to the bed and shook her lightly on the shoulders. "Heather said you have to clean too."

     Braden got up and rubbed her eyes. She knew she had to help too, she just wanted to rest for a little. "Yes, I know. Tell her I'm on my way, Jack." 

     "Okay." He turned to leave, but he stopped himself and looked at Braden with a curious expression. "She called you slut, what is that?" He tilted his head.

     Braden stood up and went to him, she got down to his eye level. "It's a really mean word, Jack." Braden shook my head.

     "But what does it mean?" 

     Braden grabbed him by the shoulders.  "It just means that I'm trying to hide the truth."

     "What truth?" Jack questioned.

     Braden got up and left him. She opened the door and looked back at Jack. "That I'm not okay."

     She closed the door and went downstairs. She got an unwelcoming look from Heather a couple other girls. Nina, who was just next to Heather, gave her a small smile. 

     Braden smiled back and grabbed a cloth from aside. She began to clean.

*

Hi!

Yeah, I know, I haven't updated in a while.

Sorry, final exams this week. After June 6, I'll be updating a lot more.

Well, I love da love I've been getting from this book! 

Really encourages me to keep going! (btw, I wasn't going to update until the 6, feel lucky)

I hope you liked this, I know it was short, oh well.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share daaa love!

Peace, yo.