Nineteen

Two Days Later   

     "Did you hear what happened?"

     "No. What happened?"

     "The police came to talk to Braden yesterday."

     "In school?"

     The girl nodded. "Yes. Well, now guess what?"

     "What?"

     "Turns out that Braden is an orphan! And she's in an orphanage! Can you believe that?!" The girl laughed.

     "Wow, really? Rebeka, I really don't think you should be laughing. Can you imagine losing your parents?"

     "Yes. I don't think it'd make a difference. They act like I don't exist anyways, so it wouldn't matter."

     "Atleast they didn't leave you, at least they're still alive, Rebeka."

     "Whatever."

     "You know Jillian is still missing."

     "Yeah. So what?"

     "And your still taking this lightly! Unbelievable." The girl picked up her things.

     "Hey, where you going?"

    "Obviously away from you. You take everything lightly and most of the time you act like an inconsiderate bitch. Bye, Rebeka."

     Braden heard Rebeka sigh.

     Rebeka and her friend were outcasts just like Braden, but somehow they were above her.

     For years Braden had sat in the table beside them, never did they acknowledge her. But today, Rebeka looked over to Braden. Braden had already been looking at her for a while, trying to figure her out.

     "Well, atleast I'm not a slut."

     "Atleast slut's aren't selfish." Braden said.

     "You mind your own business, alright?"

     "Why should I when I'm the most important topic in your messy friendship."

     Rebeka stood. "Bye, orphan."

     And then Rebeka left.

     Braden still didn't move her eyes from Rebeka. Braden could see right through her, she was sensitive inside, Rebeka only put up a tough facade on the outside.

     But it wasn't none of Braden's business as to why Rebeka was like that. Today had probably been the only day that they ever spoke. Braden didn't even know why she responded to her insult.

     It was true that the police had came to talk to her. About what? Well, obviously as to who did all of that to Braden. Since Braden didn't file a report, someone else did.

     Braden didn't understand why anyone couldn't just mind their own business.

     But then it all made sense. Everyone in this small town just wanted something to talk about. Braden also guessed that their curiosity was killing them.

     The police had asked questions which Braden made sure to not give anything away when answering. They also said that they would drop by the orphanage one day.

     What did Braden do?

     She told Sir Locks.

     Sir Locks still hadn't made up for that day. Oh, but Braden knew he was soon to strike. And a thousand times greater.

     Truth be told, Braden was trying to suck up to him.

     Who wouldn't when they have a death treat on their head?

     As for Heather, she was following Braden's lead. Sucking up to him doing all sorts of things no other orphan dares to.

     Oh and what happened to the little kids?

     They were grounded. But of course this is Sir Locks, he wouldn't do it the easy way.

     He put them to sleep in the basement. No blankets and no beds.

     Heather and Braden wouldn't have it. They went to sleep there also.

     Maybe it was because Braden's back hurt s much, that she seemed to get tired of everyone today so easily. Maybe that's why she responded to Rebeka. But who knows?

    "Braden."

     She looked up to find Esmeralda. Braden hadn't talked to her since that one day, it seemed as if it had been years.

     "Braden, please talk to me. You can't be mad at me."

     "Why not? Can you see how big this whole mess got? Just because you didn't say anything in the first place."

     Braden still loved her like a sister, but she didn't know if she could forgive her yet. Braden had less than a month left there, she would have a greater chance to make it out alive if it wasn't for Esmeralda.

     "I'm sorry, okay? I wasn't going to mention it because I thought you didn't trust me yet. I waited until I was sure you weren't going to close out on me."

     It made sense, but Braden still wouldn't give it up. "It wouldn't matter if I trusted you or not, a stranger out of this school would have taken one look at me and asked. They wouldn't care if I trusted them or not, they would just ask because they would be worried about me. You obviously didn't care about me enough to just say it." Braden didn't even know if she was making sense.

     "I'm sorry Braden! I'm sorry! I know I messed up, but we can't just let go of our friendship because of it!"

     "Just give me some time Esmeralda. Until this whole thing blows over."

     Braden could say she was saved by the bell.
*

blah. hi. I got a phone. might update more often since no more WiFi:(

Woo! Thank you for the reads! I wasn't going to update but damn I feel lonely, haha.

Vote, comment, share daaaa love!

BYE.