Long-Awaited Return

"Mike, would you stop pacing? It's getting annoying" Lucas complained as Mike continued to anxiously pace the Byers house, waiting impatiently for the sign of headlights or the sound of an engine. Nancy, Steve, Johnathon and Joyce had settled down with cups of coffee for energy after their separate ordeals.

"I'm sure she will be back soon" Will added hesitantly but was simply ignored as Mike pressed his face against the window, clenching his eyes shut tightly. Will was laid down on the couch, with Joyce constantly checking his temperature and offering him snacks.

"It's not like she can't handle herself" Max added from across the room and was met with a sharp glare from the dark haired boy.

He glared at her harshly and she shrunk back. "Would you stop with that attitude? What has she ever done to you? You don't even know her like we do- like I do! So shut your mouth or learn to say something nice."

"Mike, leave her alone. She didn't mean it like that-"

"Stalker, I really don't need you to defend me here. Mike, just because you are worried about El, it doesn't give you the right to act like you hate me again. I didn't mean it rudely, I just meant that she can take care of herself so you shouldn't worry. She is independent" Max insisted with crossed arms.

"Whatever" Mike muttered under his breath and continued to breath against the glass, a cloud of his breath covering the window. Even though they had only been waiting for El and Hopper's return for 10 minutes, it felt like another 353 days to him. Waiting for her was a type of torture which he never wanted to go through again.

The sound of an engine broke his thoughts, he sprung up from where his lean body leant over the couch and ran towards the door.

"Mike, wait a second!" He heard Nancy yell behind him but he simply ignored her, adrenaline kicking in as well as nerves at the sight of Hopper getting out of the car alone.

Hopper, seeing the distraught look on the kids face, pointed to the back of the truck. "You gonna help me get her out or not, kid?"

El was passed out in the backseat, drained from closing the gate with deep patches of blood around her ears and nose. Mike's heart sank and he wrapped an arm around her waist as Hopper lifted her carefully out of the car. Together, they walked her carefully back into the house and softly laid her on Will's bed.

"Is she okay?" Joyce stood near the door, knocking on the frame gently.

"What happened?!?" Lucas and Dustin asked at the same time, looking at each other weirdly. Max hesitantly hovered by the doorway, feeling unwelcome due to Mike's coldness and El's equally cold introduction.

"Just drained. She needs rest, everyone out" Hopper sighed and motioned towards the door. Everyone but Mike left and Hopper ran a hand through his hair. "That means you as well, kid."

Mike shook his head and quietly stated, "I want to stay."

Something about the boys tone forced Hopper to let out a gruff sigh before nodding his head. They shared awkward silences until their heads snapped to the slight whimpers escaping Eleven's throat.

Mike grabbed her hand quickly, her whimpers fading as he rubbed comforting circles on her palm with his thumb.

Seconds later, her eyes fluttered open, tired and hazy from her weak state. But Mike only saw her usual beautiful eyes, grinning softly at her as she squeezed his hand in return.

"Mike?"

"Hey, El. You're safe now, everything is going to be okay" he reassured her, tears filling his eyes as he kept his voice steady with determination. He wanted that for her, he wanted everything to be peaceful and for them to just be happy, happy together.

Her head moved across the other side of the bed she was in where she saw Hopper with a grim face that softened once he looked back at her.

"Hop?" She mumbled softly.

"Yeah, kid?"

"Mike can visit me in the cabin now, right?"

The hope and slight desperation in her voice made his heart feel warm as well as his brain panicking, wanting her to stay away from boys for as long as possible. But one look at her pleading eyes and Mike Wheeler's nerdy figure, he realised that maybe he didn't have to worry about a stupid boy breaking her heart.

"Yeah, kid. He can" he replied but continued as he saw her smile widen, "but we will have to talk about some rules, okay?"

"Don't be stupid?" she questioned.

"Let's call them the 'three feet distance' rules" he joked, only slightly joking.

Later that night, Nancy was looking all around for Mike until she asked Hopper.

"I bet I have some idea where he might be" he replied with a grunt and walked over to the slightly ajar door of the Will Byers bedroom where El was supposed to be resting.

But when he saw the Wheeler kid's head resting on the bed, with El's fingers running through his dark curls in innocent curiosity, he slowly backed away.

Inside his mind, he was thinking of changing the name to the "thirty feet distance" rules.

••••••••

Hope you enjoyed the first one shot!
Feel free to request some more!

Jodie Louise xo