The Power Of Us

(this is part 2 of The Power of Love! I recommend rereading that one if you cannot remember it, and please let me know what you think! Love you all so so much<3)

The cabin was filled with unbearable tension, the trio staring at each other as if words would not be enough to describe what they were feeling. For Hopper, it was intense confusion that was coursing through his veins and triggering the small crease between his eyebrows. The confusion of how this had happened, of how powerful the teenager could become and if there was anyway that they could get around this. For El, concern filled her eyes as she stared at the boy beside her who was breathing heavily, his hand limp in her own as if he was scared to hurt her. All that Mike could feel was terror, a deep fear that was embedded in his soul at the idea of what was to come next. He was petrified that he would lose control and hurt those that he loved, or that he would be another lab rat for Brenner to experiment on. Most of all, Mike was scared that his newfound gifts would lead the psycho back to the girl that he loved. All of them sat in silence, the air still around them despite their heavy breaths breaking up the atmosphere. 

Can I do anything to help?

"No" Mike muttered, glancing at El beside him tiredly. "I don't want you to worry about this, okay? You have enough to worry about on your own."

El had turned as white as a sheet. "I-I didn't-"

"What?" he frowned.

"Mike..." she whispered nervously, "I-I didn't say that aloud..."

Hopper frowned, his eyes filling with understanding as he glanced between the two teenagers. Mike's hands were interconnected with his daughters, nothing about that strange, yet what was happening was far from ordinary. "You can hear her in your mind?"

Mike froze. "I-I don't...what?"

"El" Hopper nudged, "try to say something else."

She sighed for a moment, focusing all of her energy onto the boy beside him after realizing that she would never hurt him. It was like her body understood their connection, her powers always relenting when it came to Mike as if he was her ultimate weakness. After everything that they had been through, he always knew how to make her weak and vulnerable in the best way, whether emotionally, physically or mentally. He was always there to keep her strong, her powers weak without the instinct to protect the ones that she loved. 

Hi

Mike breathed in sharply, eyes going slightly wide. 

"Well?" Hopper leaned forward.

He simply nodded, too scared to speak.

Hop swore under his breath. "What the hell are we going to do? Is there anything else that you can do? We know you can move things with your mind but perhaps-

In the middle of his delirious speech, the thoughts in Mike's mind became too much for him, fear crawling into every single dark part of his soul. The tapping of his feet became too fast, eyelids fluttering quicker than what was deemed normal, until the almost-fifteen year old snapped. Before either of them knew how to react, Mike had darted up from the couch within seconds and slammed El's bedroom door shut behind him. He tugged on his dark hair harshly, the strands starting to curl at the end as ripped off his denim vest after sweating harshly through his panic. He was breathing heavily, his body sliding down against the shut door as he tried to regain control of his surroundings. El looked worriedly at her adoptive father who looked down to the floor guiltily, knowing that he must have overwhelmed the teenager. He motioned for her to try and help as he searched the kitchen for some drinks, something to bring a sense of normalcy to the boy's life after his world had seemingly changed within minutes.