One Night Only

When Hopper had let the words slip off his tongue, he was met with silence on the other end of the line.

"Hello? Wheeler? You better not have hung up on me."

Mike opened his mouth and closed it like a fish, clutching the phone tightly in his hand. His mother was standing beside him, tapping her foot and waiting impatiently for the phone to be given back to her so she could ring up one of her friends.

"Y-Yeah, um, I'm here" Mike replied weakly.

"You want me to change my mind or not? Will I get an answer out of you or not?" Hopper grunted down the phone.

"You were serious? Really?" Mike's voice had perked up, crossing his fingers around the phone, praying that he was heading the man correctly.

Hopper simply pinched his forehead. "Just be here at 7."

"Of course! Of course, Hop- I mean, sir!" Mike stuttered and the chief rolled his eyes.

El had opened the bathroom door so Hopper quickly put the phone down, before putting running a hand down his face. She tilted her head at his stiff posture, looking around him for signs of danger or stress.

"What is it? Who was on the phone?"

"The wheeler kid" he merely muttered making her ears perk up to listen like an overexcited puppy, clutching her hand to her chest tenderly.

"Mike's coming?"

"Yeah, later."

"Why?"

Hopper grumbled under his breath curse words. "You always want the kid here, and now I let him, you question me?"

El frowned. "You never invite him unless I make you. What's wrong?"

Hopper swallowed the lump in his throats, sighing in defeat at her puppy dog eyes that were filled with concern. He crossed his arms and studied her, wondering if he should come clean or not.

"I heard you last night" he confessed.

El's face dropped and he felt like shit. She stood there, looking at the ground and blinked rapidly to stop the tears.

"I'm fine-"

"Kid, you haven't had one in a while and I don't want you alone while I work late. As much as I hate it, I know you sleep better when the Wheeler boy is here" Hopper said carefully, watching slowly for her reaction.

"Mike" she mumbled.

He sighed. "Sorry, Mike. I know you sleep better when Mike is here."

"Staying over?" She asked.

"For one night. One night only, El" he reminded her and she grinned, secretly knowing that he was lying.

•••

"Alright, I'm off. Okay, so a couple of rules..Wheeler, keep your hands to yourself. El, no using your powers to cook because I don't want you to nearly burn the cabin down again. Both of you behave and don't stay up too late. Understood?"

They nodded their heads quickly before grinning at each other.

As soon as the door slammed, Mike turned to El and was nearly knocked over by her hug. She buried her head in his chest, arms wound tight around his waist like when they danced at the snowball. She squeezed him and smiled, loving the warmth that his body gave her, like a personal heater.

"El, calm down. I'm not going anywhere" Mike laughed and ran his hands through her curls before frowning. "Your hair has grown."

Noticing his tone, she pulled back worriedly. "You don't like it?"

"No, no, El, I love it! I just don't like missing out on so much of your life" he sighed and she grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers together like he did when he tried to comfort her. She realised it worked the same well when he looked back at her with soft eyes that had hints of happiness in them. 

"Well, you're here now."

"Yeah, El. I am" he smiled at her and then furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't know why, though. Did you ask for me to come round?"

She stiffened slightly in his hold, pulling away and dragging him over to the couch. She reached over to change the channel on the television to find another soap, when his hand stopped her, grasping her arm softly.

"Hey, what is it?" He asked worriedly.

She looked away.

"Come on, El. We don't have secrets, remember?" He pleaded, rubbing her arm to soothe her.

"I had a nightmare last night" she mumbled.

"So Hopper wanted me to make sure you're okay?" Mike frowned. "But why is he letting me stay the night? He never-"

She cuts him off gently and looks away in embarrassment. "He knows I sleep better when I'm with you..."

Mike's gaze turned softer than usual and he smiled widely. "You do?"

She nodded against his chest and curled up, pressing her body against his side so that he got the hint and put his arms around her.

They spent the night talking about school, comic book characters and watching soaps. When Hopper came back early in the morning, they were still curled up together on the couch, both too tired and warm to move over onto her bed.

He couldn't help but smile when he saw the look of pure content on his daughter's face.

••••••••••

Just another cute idea I had. If only this happens next season... I think I would die inside. But die happy :)

Jodie Louise xo