The Answer Is Yes

Hopper filled with his tie nervously, trying to work out the knot over and over again. He grumbled under his breath, looking into the mirror to see everyone laughing at him, the boys with their hands clapped over their mouths. He groaned, throwing the tie down onto the floor and held his hands up in defeat. 

"Alright, that's it. I'm not wearing that thing" he crossed his arms over his chest. 

"You have to" Johnathon reminded him with an amused smile. "Come on, you know that she will love it. You know when she got married to Lonnie he only wore a t-shirt, right? It had a stain down the front."

Hopper sighed and glanced at the other person in the room, who was biting his lip and bouncing his legs up and down nervously. 

He rolled his eyes. "Kid, why are you so freaked out? You aren't even getting married...and you won't be for a long long  time, I should be the one that is nervous!"

Mike's head popped up and he ran his hands through his dark hair. The product they had put in it for him was making him just as uncomfortable as the suit that he had to wear, a dark blue color that matched Johnathon's suit. When Hopper asked him to take on the special role, he could hardly speak and almost made the man change his mind. 

"Hey, kid, I need to talk to you for a second" Hopper beckoned for Mike to come over as he sipped his coffee, fiddling with his beard. 

Mike frowned and glanced at El who grinned widely, shaking her head and putting a finger across her lips. Mike gulped and stepped closer to the chief, licking his lips to gather his words together instead of incoherent mumbles. 

"Yeah?" he winced. "What have I done?"

Hopper rolled his eyes. "Nothing, but I need to ask you something important. Try not to pass out, would you?" 

Mike only let out a small squeak in return. 

"Look, the other day I realized something and-"

"Yes" Mike blurted out. "I did sneak into the cabin last week, I'm sorry but El didn't want me to leave and so we waited until you were asleep...nothing happened, please don't kill me...I won't ever do it again I swear to god-"

El slapped his arm lightly as Hopper ran a palm over his face. 

"That isn't what I was going to say, but you bet your ass that we will be talking about this later" Hopper sent him an icy glare. "Jesus, you are already making me regret this..."

"What is it?" Mike frowned slightly, reaching for El's hand to calm him down. She squeezed his fingers gently to reassure him and he let out a slow breath. 

"Uh...well obviously Joyce and I are getting married, and I had been thinking for a long time about everyone that we wanted there and what sort of roles they would have. I know Johnathon should have this job as her son, and he has already accepted but since they are getting Will to be the ring holder, I-I..." he cleared his throat awkwardly. "..was wondering if you wanted to share the role with Johnathon instead."

"What r-role?" Mike's mouth parted slightly. 

"Best man, w-well there would be two of you but obviously Will already has a job and Joyce really wanted two best man's as she has El as a bridesmaid...and since you will inevitably be El's date...I just thought that-"

The stuttering chief was interrupted by the dorky fifteen-year old enthusiastically shaking his hand. His hair bounced around as he shook it quickly, barely able to get his words out as his mind continued to spin.