After The Snowball

(Just a quick one lucastown )

El could not wipe the silly grin off her face as her stomach did flips over and over. Mike was internally dancing around stupidly and could not stop the grin on his face from spreading to match hers. She was just so beautiful and made him feel like he was floating on a cloud, too happy to care about anyone else on the ground below.

"Alright kids, time to go home. Your parents will be waiting in the pick up area outside and teachers will be around to direct you!" the voice of Mr Clarke on the speaker made El frown at the floor.

Mike immediately noticed and grabbed her hand. "Hey, it's okay...There are many other dances we can go to!"

El smiled softly and squeezed his hand in return.

"Guys, come on!" Lucas called as the other kids began to pile out of the hall. Max was by his side, holding onto his arm unconsciously as the cold air filtered in slowly from the open doors.

"Wasn't that just the best night ever?" Dustin grinned, slapping Will on the shoulder.

Will smiled. "It was cool."

"At least you got to come" Mike pointed out. "I'm surprised your mom even let you..."

"I'm sure she will be nearby" he sighed but smiled lightly.

"Did you have fun, El?" Lucas asked.

"Oh, I bet she did" Dustin teased but yelped when Mike shoved him playfully.

"Come on, we better go" Mike sighed, glancing towards El who looked disappointed at how short the night was.

The car park was quieter now, most of the kids had been picked up. Dustin waved enthusiastically before jogging over to Steve's car who honked his horn impatiently.

"Bye guys" Max nodded before walking off. Lucas opened his mouth but then seemed to go quiet, nothing bothering in the end. He sighed and spotted his mom's car.

"See you at the campaign tomorrow" he told Mike and Will before quickly hugging El. "Bye El! We will visit soon, I'll make sure."

Hopper and Joyce stood together by Hopper's truck, chatting quietly before waving the kids over. Joyce smiled and immediately asked Will and Mike all about the dance as they started to get in the car.

"Have fun, kid?" Hopper asked, throwing his cigarette on the floor.

"Best time" El smiled softly, biting her lip.

"Good. Come on, let's go back home" he patted the car door.

"El?" Mike tapped her shoulder lightly and she turned around. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I had a really great time tonight..."

Hopper rolled his eyes.

"Yeah?" El smiled.

"Yeah...and hopefully I'll come round and visit and be able to see you lots and teach you stuff from school. I'll fill you in on-"

El just couldn't help it. He looked adorable as he rambled with his eyes looking around aimlessly and his cheeks bright red. He was usually so sure and certain, the complete opposite of her. The sight of him so sweet and nervous seemed to light something inside her chest and she swears to herself that she has never loved him more than she did right in that moment.

She reached up and quickly pecked his cheek, somehow making them even redder. He had stopped rambling, his mouth just hung open slightly as El giggled until Hopper cleared his throat.

Hopper stepped forward slightly and Mike snapped out of his trance, laughing nervously.

"Uh..hi chief!" Mike squeaked. "Bye chief!"

El grinned as Mike quickly headed for Joyce's car, not without turning around and giving her a sweet wave.

"God, I give you one night out and you've already got a boyfriend" Hopper groaned.

"Boyfriend? What's a boyfriend?" El asked.

"Don't worry" Hopper grimaced. "Nothing you are going to have just yet."