No Matter What

(Look out for your cameo...) SPAM WITH COMMENTS TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT, HAPPY BIRTHDAY -  strangest_mel11

El Hopper-soon to be Wheeler-was happier than she had ever been in her entire life. She had a steady job at a bookstore part time, often bringing home several science fiction books for her fiance to dig into. The other reason for her happiness, lay with the tall dark-haired dork that had finally discovered the courage to propose to her at the age of twenty five. After receiving permission from her adopted father and several speeches of encouragement from his friends, he popped the question and made El the happiest girl alive.

But she was human, and sometimes she felt like no matter how happy Mike claimed he was with her, that he could always find someone better than her.

El saw Mike constantly checking his phone one evening and her insecurities got the best of her. Every minute that Mike's eyes lit up and he reached over to grab his phone, it felt like there was a knife slowly twisting into her stomach.

She stroked their cat Mel softly and tried to ignore it. They had picked up the cat from a shelter last year, the cat sporting random splashes of color on its back. The other cats seemed to pick on it in the shelter, it hid in the far corner meowing softly and that is when El knew that it was the cat for them. It was the kindest cat, always supporting them and rubbing up against them as they slept, as if reminding the couple that she would always be there as a part of the family.

"Sorry, El. Be right back" he would mumble apologetically before rushing out of the room to answer the phone. She smiled but as soon as he left the room, her heart sunk and she fought back tears thinking that her fiance had found happiness in somebody else like she had been expecting all this time.

One day, El's fear got the best of her and she decided to follow Mike out after overhearing about the cafe that he was going to be meeting the mystery woman in. She waited outside of his publishing office, gripping her bag tightly in anger when she saw him walk over to a beautiful woman with long blonde hair. Mike opened the door for her to go into the cafe and El whimpered softly, clutching onto her engagement ring like a life line. The band was simple with a small diamond, but there was a small engraving on the inside of the band, the word promise which had meant so much to them over the years.

El felt tears pricking her eyes, believing that Mike had broke the biggest promise of them all.

As she turned around to leave, fed up of glancing down at her ring, she felt a hand tug her back. Gulping, she looked into the dark eyes of her soon to be husband which were looking at her with disappointment and slight anger.

"Were you following me?"

El saw the disappointment in his eyes and her eyes trailed to the blonde behind him who was looking at them worriedly. She clenched her eyes shut, feeling mad at herself for being so pathetic in thinking that Mike could ever hurt her. She opened her mouth to apologize, to explain everything and make him take her back, but she realized that nothing she could say could take back what she had done.

Mike had stormed behind El angrily to their apartment, where he slammed the door behind them shakily.

"If we don't have trust, we don't have anything" Mike spat at her. "You said that to me, remember?"

"Mike-" El sobbed.

"You said that to me, making me out like I was a terrible person who could hurt you, who could cheat and do terrible things! You made me feel like a monster for checking your phone one time, and now you followed me all the way to a business meeting because...what?" he scoffed angrily, "...you thought I was cheating on you?"