How Could You Not Tell Me? (Part 2)

Part 2 to previous one shot! They are now 25 and married!! lucastown emotional as heck btw!! Have fun❤️
•••••••••
El was wrapped up in Mike's long arms, his face buried in her neck as his soft breaths warmed her skin. She felt so warm and safe, running her hands through his dark hair as he slept. But then the guilt came creeping through.

El was getting flashbacks from the time that she left to Chicago, planning on not telling Mike anything about it before Hopper spilled the plan. She had heard from her sister that there were others out there like her that were trying to hunt her down. She knew that instead of letting them hurt the ones that she loved the most, she would face them with Kali and work out a compromise. They were angry about her life and how she had escaped from the lab without any harm, and had seemingly got a happy ending. They thought that she didn't deserve any of that.

She couldn't risk letting Mike get hurt despite how much she knew he would hate her for doing this to him again after so many years. El had made the mistake when she was 14 years old, needing to check on Kali and Mike was crushed after the weeks that she spent away from him. But at 25 years of age, she knew that she had to do the same to her husband.

El slowly slid out of Mike's comforting grip, sighing tiredly at the face she had loved since she met him all those years ago. Mike mumbled under his breath as she left a soft kiss on his cheek, her lip wobbling slowly at the thought of him waking up without her. He turned around and fell back asleep, snoring lightly as El sneaked out with her rucksack to meet Kali.

...

After a long journey which took nearly two days, El had been ignoring Mike's phone calls. She couldn't bear to even look at the voicemails that he had left her. Then the phone calls from her father begun and she knew that her husband was going crazy back at home.

She reluctantly answered one call in a clipped voice. "Tell him I'm fine."

"You tell him" Hopper yelled down the phone. "Kid, this isn't fair on anyone, especially not Mike. At least answer his calls dammit!"

"I'm not telling any of you anything, it is too dangerous. I'll be back as soon as I can, just make sure Mike is okay" El sighed.

"He isn't okay" Hopper exploded. "Kid, you left him in the middle of the night while he was asleep! He called me thinking you weren't going to ever come back...I mean, Jesus, El! He's your husband you can't just do that."

"I'm sorry" her voice shook. "Just check on him and tell him I'm sorry."

"Call him yourself-"

She hung up with a long sigh, running her hands over her face. Kali whistled under her breath, "sound's like you left a mess back home."

"Just an angry husband" El let out a shaky breath. "Anyway, lets keep going. It isn't far."

When they finally got to the abandoned building, El heard whistles and chuckles from around them. The place was dark and Kali was looking around paranoid, trying to find out where they were. The chuckles got louder and voices emerged from the shadowy figures.

"Why, look at them! They have grown up nicely" one man sneered, cackling under his breath.

"Yeah, I see that!" a girl added in a cold voice. "Too bad we didn't get those little happy ever afters..."

"Look" El started with her hands clenched into fists. "We just want to talk and sort something out. We don't want trouble."

"People never look for trouble, eleven" another voice drawled, "It just happens. Nice ring, by the way. How long have you been married?"