I'm Sorry I Broke My Promise

lucastown I'm sorry but I think I'm about to break your heart.... listen to the song it made me cry while writing this it works so well....
Don't hate me!!

.........

The gang had been trying their best to think of different ideas of how to stop the Mind Flayer from spreading. El had to go and destroy the creature that had sprouted from the upside down once and for all. Hopper was going with her whilst Steve looked after the kids, they were going to keep watch outside the lab whilst El destroyed the Mind Flayer.

"El, hurry up. I'll be waiting in the car."

El nodded at Hopper before turning to Mike who sat down on the sofa with his head buried in his hands, the fingers running through his dark strands.

"Mike?" She mumbled.

"Sorry" her boyfriend sent her a tight smile, standing up slowly, "I just hate saying goodbye to you."

El took his clammy hand in hers. "But we aren't saying goodbye. It isn't forever."

His smile brightened slightly. "Yeah, you're right. Be careful, please."

"Always" she squeezed his hand. "Don't do anything stupid."

"El" he rolled his eyes.

"Mike" she repeated sternly, "I know what you're like. Promise me. Promise me that you won't do anything stupid."

"Promise."

He wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her neck, holding on like she was a lifetime away yet she couldn't be any closer to him. Pulling back slightly, she pressed her lips against his, cupping his cheeks carefully. He let his eyes flutter closed before letting his fingers tangle gently in her grown curls that now almost reached her shoulders. Pulling away gently and grinning when she whined slightly, he pecked her forehead.

"Be safe. I love you."

"I love you too" El whispered before squeezing his hand once more. She let it fall from his reluctantly before heading towards the car, unsure of what the future would hold for Hawkins and the ones that she loved the most.

........

They had been guarding the lab for ages and Mike could already tell that something was off. It was taking way too long.

The static of his supercom confirmed his worries. "Kid, pick up. This isn't working!"

Hopper sounded exhausted and angry. Mike reached for his supercom quickly.

"What's happening?"

The others had gathered around to listen carefully with worried expressions. Dustin cursed under his breath.

"The demo-mutts or whatever, there's too many! They are getting too close to us and I need El to concentrate!" Hopper yelled.

"Shit, what do we do now?" Dustin took off his hat and ran a hand through his curls.

"There must be something we can do" Lucas joined in but Steve stepped in quickly.

"Forget it, dude. None of us are going anywhere" Steve put his hands on his hips but he had unknowingly turned his back on the biggest threat to them all.

"Hold up, where the hell is Mike?"

"Mike?" Will shouted, looking around helplessly.

"Wheeler, you're so dead when I get my hands on you!" Steve yelled before running inside the lab.