Driving Lessons

"Ow!" Mike cursed under his breath. 

El's eyes snapped open and a smile automatically melted onto her face as she turned around to face her window. The familiar voice smiled somewhat sheepishly at her, as if pleading with her not to tease him like she always did when he fell over. Despite the many years of practice, the sixteen year old always managed to trip over her window ledge on the cabin, his body thumping onto her floor, loud enough that it terrified him if her father would wake up. 

Her brown orbs softened once they met his dark ones, lit up with so much contentment just for being near to her. His hair was a usual mess, the dark locks falling into his eyes because he could never bear to get it cut for fear of it being too short. He was wearing a usual soft dark-blue sweatshirt over the top of his old star wars pajama bottoms, the dork still appreciating the trilogy that changed all of their lives. His body melted against hers so perfectly, their hands grasping onto clothing until they could not get physically closer to each other. They both had this unusual need to always be as close as possible, skin to skin contact never enough for the pair, neither of them being able to spend a night apart. 

"What have I told you-" El started to scold him in a whisper. 

"El" Mike dragged out in a whine. 

His girlfriend giggled, the sound lighting his entire chest as he pulled her in for a hug. He collapsed onto her bed, her small body instantly crawling up into his lap as he leaned his head down to stare into her eyes. Her hands looped around his neck, fingertips stroking his dark hair in a way that made him shiver, his own hands resting gently on her hips. 

"Hi" He breathed. 

"Hi" she mumbled softly, rubbing a thumb over his plump lips. 

He playfully bit her finger. "I missed you."

"You saw me yesterday" she reminded him softly, tapping his nose. 

"Still" he mumbled, looking deep into her eyes. Her own softened, caramel eyes meeting dark chocolate in a beautiful yet familiar combination. He had only ever seen his eyes as almost black circles, circles full of pain and disappointment just like his fathers. But she had seen the worth in them, comparing them to the starry night sky and galaxies that lit up all of the nightmares and screams of pain at two in the morning. Before she could blink, he was kissing her with everything that he had, their lips moving together like they always had until she gasped, letting his tongue stroke the seam of her lips until she whimpered. As incredible as this felt physically, there was just something about how it strengthened the emotional connection between them beyond what she thought was possible. She could never have dreamed that she could feel more for him, but here she was, falling more in love with him every single day. 

Mike pushed her down gently so that he could settle comfortable between her legs. They laid there for a while, exchanging long and deep kisses with several gasps and whimpers until Mike pressed gentle kisses down her neck, showering her with affection. It wasn't just physical to him either, it was about proving to her how beautiful she was and how he saw her as a rare and precious jewel, something to keep safe forever. 

"Go to sleep" he murmured against her neck when he noticed her yawning, "I'll be here when you wake up."

It was a simple phrase that had stopped multiple nights of nightmares, knowing that she could feel his safe and warm arms around her, and how that was never going to change. Mike had started sneaking over to the cabin to soothe her to sleep ever since the fall of 1985 after a scorching summer, each night restless without him. After a few nights they both struggled to sleep without each other and no matter how much she tried to convince him to get sleep, she would always hear the knock on her window. She could hardly complain when he kissed like it finally gave him a reason to breathe, falling asleep in her arms. She could wake up in his arms and allow herself to enjoy the peace for a while until Hopper knocked on the door, both of them panicking to keep quiet in case he realized she wasn't alone.