Please Tell Me You're Not Proposing

A nice little sweet and hopefully funny one shot, to put your heart back together after the last one shot! lucastown

.........

"Mike, stop being such a pussy!"

"Screw you, Lucas! I'm not a pussy!" Mike snapped back, his knees tapping against the floorboards, fists clenching the phone in his hand.

"Then pick up the damn phone" Dustin joined in, snatching the phone from his hands, "or I will. I think Hopper will be a little concerned that I'm asking his daughter out on a date..."

Mike shot him a cold glare. "Look, he has a gun in his pocket at all times! I ask her out and he will reach for it before I can even finish the sentence."

"He's the police chief" Max rolled her eyes, hands on her hips, "he isn't going to shoot you. And besides, he knows El will want to go."

"Do we? Do we know that she will want to go?" Mike panicked, looking up at her with wide eyes making the red head burst out laughing.

"Are you joking me, Wheeler? She adores you, there's no way she won't say yes!" Max shoved his arm.

"I really can't do it" Mike cried out helplessly, running his hands through his hair and putting the phone back on the wall.

"Fine then" Dustin smirks. "You leave us with no choice."

Lucas and him exchange evil smiles.

..........

"No...no...no...no way! There is no way I am- Lucas!"

The party gathered around the cabin, dragging Mike by his lanky arms and stormed up the stairs. Mike shook his head with a terrified expression, trying his best to run away but they were stronger than him.

"Look, you weren't cooperating so we had to improvise! At least you know if he beats you up you're not alone!"

"Thanks, Dustin" Mike drawled.

Lucas knocked on the cabin door quickly whilst Mike backed away slowly. The door swung open slowly and the teenage boy gulped, hiding behind Will and Max.

"What are you lot doing here?" Hopper grumbled, looking at each of them individually. "You saw her yesterday."

"Mike has a question to ask you!" Dustin shoved Mike forwards who yelped loudly and shook his head, backing away slowly.

"Oh, yeah?" Hopper took a sip of his beer and studied the lanky teen.

"Nope..n-no...definitely not" Mike stuttered and backed away.

"Mike, don't be such a pussy!" Lucas yelled. "We will be back later, and try not to get killed!"

"Where the hell are you?- Guys!" Mike yelled back as they all turned around and ditched him back down the forest path until they were out of sight. Mike gulped and turned back to the chief who was frowning at him.

"Wheeler, spit it out."

"I-I.. um... you can say no... I mean, I would love you to say yes but you're now her dad and everything and I wanted to get your blessing first obviously before I ask her..." Mike tried.

Hopper choked on his drink. "Please tell me you're not proposing! You're fourteen for god's sake! There is no way in hell.."

"What!" His eyes widened quickly, "no! No! I'm not proposing, Jesus! I just wanted to know if I could take her out...you know just her and me."

Hopper straightened up slightly. "Like a date?"

"Y-yes...if that is at all possible?" Mike winced, looking at the ground.

Hopper reached into his back pocket to grab a cigarette and Mike covered his face quickly. "Oh, Jesus... please don't kill me! Please don't shoot me! Please... I'll never ask again!"

"Jesus Christ, kid! You thought I was going to shoot you?" Hopper laughed. "You think El would let me live if I did?"

Mike turned around. "I'm just gonna go..."

"Fine."

Mike froze. "Huh?"

"You can take her out on a date. But no funny business, Wheeler, or you will meet my gun. And not the nice end of it" Hopper sighed, rubbing his chin.

"Really?!"

"You want to make me change my mind?" The man rolled his eyes.

"No...uh, thank you, ... uh- sir" Mike stumbled over his words. "You have my word."

"Kid, don't call me sir, for God's sake. What am I? One hundred years old?"

"Uh-.."

"Mike?" A soft voice came from inside the cabin and El stepped outside slowly. "Hi."

"Hey El..." Mike breathed slowly, "please tell Hopper not to kill me."

"Hey, don't kill Mike!" El shouted, walking up to her father with wide eyes. "Leave Mike alone!"

"I'm not going to kill him, kid. But if he breaks your heart I may have to" Hopper rolled his eyes at the dramatic scene before him and stamps his cigarette into the wooden planks outside the cabin porch.

"Mike wouldn't break my heart" El states softly, walking over to the boy's side and grabbing his hand.

"Whatever. You gonna ask her or what, Wheeler? It's now or never otherwise you've lost your chance" Hopper ran a hand down his face.

"Ask me what?" El looked at Mike who froze once more. He hadn't thought this far ahead, he figured he would be lying on the floor with a bullet in his chest by now.

"Uh..."

"Good luck, Wheeler" Hopper laughed before walking back inside the cabin giving them privacy.

"Mike?" El repeated softly.

"I wanted to ask you to go somewhere with me tomorrow night.. you know..just us. It's called a date" Mike rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"What do you do on a date?" El asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Uh..you can do whatever you want. Watch a movie, eat food, go for a walk..it's up to you! It's just the two of you and it's for people that l-like each other" Mike explained.

El smiled softly. "Like each other like we do?"

"Yeah" he squeezed her hand. "Does that sound okay?"

"That sounds perfect" she pecked his cheek.

Mike knew that whatever torturous speech he would get from Hopper tomorrow would be worth it, it was always worth it when it came to the girl he loved.