Christmas Special (Part 2)

CHRISTMAS PRESENT IDEAS - PART TWO

El had been enjoying preparing for Christmas more than anything, but it meant that she saw less of Mike, he was constantly busy with his family doing Christmas activities and buying presents. She was mainly alone in the cabin, severely bored and lacking any festive spirit without her loved ones. Hopper was busy working but she was happy to find out that in a couple of days, he would be off from work for a while over the Christmas period to spend more time with her and everybody else. 

"Are you getting Joyce a Christmas present?" El swung her legs as she perched on the kitchen table, her smile all giddy and infectious that even he cracked a small smile. 

"I might be. Why?" he teased her back. 

"Because you love her" she giggled and Hopper rolled his eyes, pointed a spatula at her playfully while he cooked breakfast. "You love her like I love Mike."

Hopper made a face and she playfully slapped him. "You getting him a present?" he asked with a raised eyebrow making her frown. 

"I don't know what to get him" El pouted, fiddling with her Christmas sweater, another part of Christmas that she had come to love, "I don't know if he will get me a present."

"El, this is Mike Wheeler we are talking about" Hopper rolled his eyes playfully, "the love-struck kid has probably got you an engagement ring."

El flushed red and sent him a playful glare as he chuckled. He continued whipping up breakfast and gestured for her to sit down at the table to tuck in when it was eventually finished. "Do you want me to pick up something from the store for him?" 

El shook her head sadly, "I have no idea what he would want. I might try and ask the others when I see them tomorrow."

Hopper nodded and tucked into his eggs, "Let me know."

"What are we doing for Christmas?" El asked quietly. "Just you and me?"

"I suppose so" Hopper put down his fork gently, "Why?"

"I don't know" El sighed deeply, "I like spending time with you but I just wish we could spend Christmas with everyone."

"We will still have fun, kid. I promise" he ruffled her curls softly, receiving a small smile in return. Inside, he was upset, wishing that he could make El's first real Christmas more special. Last year for the Christmas of 1984, El had just been let out for the Snowball so the pair had sat in, watching the first Christmas movie that El had seen. They had not decorated or had anything special, but Hopper gave her some new clothes as a treat. 

He wanted to make this year special, he just wasn't sure how. 

...

 The next day El had all the party come round, all giving her hugs when they arrived but Mike was nowhere to be found. Will told her that Mike had said to apologize and that he had to sort something out with his family. El was a little down, knowing that Christmas was only a couple of days away and she may not see Mike before the special day. 

After some board games that Lucas brought over, non- D&D related for once, El turned to Dustin and poked his arm gently. 

"Yeah El?" he mumbled, looking up from where he was tucking into some gingerbread cookies Hopper had made. He told El to tell her friends that she helped, so that they would not embarrass the chief for his baking skills. 

"What does Mike like?" she asked softly, looking around at everyone who chuckled quietly. 

"What do you mean?" Lucas furrowed his eyebrows with a small chuckle.