Losing Control

Eleven's powers had a clear link to her emotions, often acting up whenever she was sad or angry. As she was growing older, her powers seemed to be getting stronger which worried everyone, wondering how they would continue to grow and if she would ever be able to control them more. El hated her powers, how she wasn't normal, despite being called a mage by her friends. To her, it was simply the reason why she couldn't have a normal carefree life, why she would always be running from Papa and why she had to be careful in public. 

But sometimes her anger got the best of her. 

It was a normal Friday afternoon in school and El had joined her friends in the cafeteria, laughing at something that Dustin had said. She loved spending time with the party, they could always make her laugh and forget about all of her worries. 

The smile slipped off her face when she saw someone approach their table with long red hair and pretty blue eyes, like a dolled up version of Max. El was immediately taken back to the time that she saw Mike and Max in the gym last year, already feeling uncomfortable although she knew they were just friends. 

"Hi guys, can I sit with you? My best friend is ill today and Troy is being a jerk" the girl said and El's eyes softened when she saw the girl sniffle, her pretty eyes looking like glass. 

"Sure" they all exclaimed, Dustin rubbing her back gently as she sat down with them. She was pretty and seemed sweet, so El was excited yet a little nervous to make a new friend. 

"Don't worry about Troy, he is an asshole" Mike gently told the girl, who looked up at him with big eyes and a small smile. El's chest started to feel tight. 

"You're Mike, right? I'm Jane" the girl shook his hand and Mike froze slightly, glancing at his girlfriend who wouldn't look at him. He nudged her shoulder softly to get her attention, wanting to introduce her to this girl and make her feel like a normal teenager, with someone who shared her birth name. 

"Yeah, hey, this is our friend Jane! You two have the same name!" Mike smiled widely at El but frowned when her eyes lowered to the ground after his sentence, her chin wobbling. 

Jane smiled at El and giggled lightly, "That's so cool! Nice to meet you."

El felt terrible that the girl was so nice but it broke her heart. She didn't understand why, but it was all slowly coming together for her. This is the life that Mike should have had, with another Jane who was prettier than her and normal, one that he still could get along with. It was also a life that El could have had before she was tested on and treated like a lab rat, she could have met Mike in a normal way and then maybe she would have deserved him. 

But the true reason why she felt her heart break, was because she was introduced as Mike's friend, not his girlfriend

"Hey, Jane! We were going to the ice cream parlor after school, do you want to join us?" Mike asked, thinking that it would be great for El to have more friends, ones that she could rely on. It was hard to find girls in this school that were nice and genuine, not bitchy and stuck up. 

"Sounds nice, Mike" Jane smiled at him softly and they both smiled. 

Something stirred in El, she looked between their smiles and the way that Jane fit so comfortably on their table, on the other side of Mike. Her eyes fluttered back and forth and her fists clenched on their own accord, and before she knew what she was doing, she had knocked Jane off her chair and onto the floor. 

"Jesus, are you alright?" Mike asked and the other boys got up and helped her off the floor, where she was starting to cry out of humiliation. Everyone started to laugh at the poor girl and El looked down at her hands that were slightly shaking, terrified at what she had done. She didn't mean to react like that.