28

"I don't even know why I have to learn this stupid punnet square," Jake says as he sits in the island doing his Biology homework. I don't know why he has to do it either, but here he is doing it either way. I feel like school should focus on what you really care about and not the nonsense. Jake loves video games so he should be doing homework and taking classes that helps him design stuff or something.

"I don't know, I really don't," I say answering him after a while. "But since you have to, might as well do it right," I tell him. He shrugs his shoulder and goes back to finding blond types for random people. I turn the stove off for the spaghetti seeing that it is done boiling. I am cooking dinner which I haven't done in a while.

Luke left yesterday, I got to admit, I do miss the guy, but his contract said he could quit any time he wanted. I couldn't keep him here, plus he was so happy for that cooking thing. I probably won't ever understand what's the big deal, but I know if I got an opportunity to learn from one of the greatest surgeons, I would want to take it. 

The front door opens, after a few seconds, Toph walks in the kitchen. "Hello everyone," he says taking a seat beside Jake. 

"Afternoon," Jake says looking at his uncle. "Do you have to take Biology in college?" He asks him. I shake my head.

"Yes, I'm taking it," Christopher says. "What's wrong with Biology?" Christopher asks him.

"Everything," Jake answers. "I don't want to know about life," he adds. "And I don't understand a crap about it."

"Ask your mom to help, she used to be obsessed with Biology in Elementry school," I nod my head saying it's true. I actually used to enter in all of the science fairs. I only liked Biology because I was interested in the body though, no other reasons. "What are you doing?" Toph asks me.

"I am cooking dinner," I reply with a smile. Christopher gives a surprising look, "what?" I ask him.

"When was the last time you cooked dinner?" He asks me, "plus you hate cooking," he adds.

"At least I know how to cook," I tell him. "Remember the disaster of '07?" I ask him. Christopher burned the kitchen down that time. If it wasn't for the firefighters, the whole house was going to burn down. Our parents had to rebuild the whole kitchen and ban Christopher from coming inside it.

"Maybe," he says. "But you still hate it," he says. I shake my head agreeing. "You're going to hire a new butler?" He asks. 

"No," I answer him. I think we can be fine without a butler or a maid. Luke kind of reminded me that normal people live without a help. It'll be difficult, but I'm sure we can do it. School is open which means Jake will barely be home plus Christopher is here. "We are going to be like a normal American family and not hire any help," I say.

"Sure that's the reason?" Christopher asks. I roll my eyes at him, he always has to start something. "Avez-vous peur que vous tombiez amoureux de lui aussi?" He asks in French. Jake looks up at him wondering what he said.

"No," I answer him. "Anyway," I say trying to change the subject. "Juan is working tomorrow out of town, mind taking Jake to school for me please?" I ask Christopher.

"You working tonight?" He asks me.

"No," I reply. "I have a doctor's appointment early in the morning," I say.

"Um... okay, sure," Toph says.

"You okay?" Jake asks this time.

"Yeah, why?" I ask him.

"You said you were going to the doctor," he says.

"Yeah, well Jake, you don't go to the doctor only when you're sick. You have to go to get checked up," I say. "For diseases or infections," I add.

"Like the dentist," Christopher adds.

"You're going to the dentist?" Jake asks.

"No, I'm going to the gynecologist," I tell him.

"What does a gynecologist specialize in?" He asks. Christopher starts laughing hard, I give him a death glare to stop. He doesn't stop making me laugh also. "What?" Jake asks.

"Well, a gynecologist is a doctor for women," I say it as best as possible. "They specialize in a women's reproductive system and breasts," I say. Christopher starts laughing again. I swear he asks worse than a child sometimes. I don't get what makes a gynecologist funny. Jake looks at me still not understanding what I mean. "Okay fine," I say. "They look at your private area for infection and our breasts to see if you have lumps or cancer," I say.

"Interesting job," Jake says. "I'll add gynecologist to my career choices," my jaw drops. Christopher laughs harder, I roll my eyes.

"That'll be great," I tell Jake. "Toph stops laughing, you're so childish," I tell him. He rolls his eyes. "Dinner's almost ready," I say to them both. I go back to cooking the food. I am making spaghetti and meatballs. It's really easy to make and everybody likes them, I mean who doesn't like spaghetti?

"Oh, you're making spaghetti and meatballs," Christopher says, "my favorite," he adds.

"I like how Luke makes the meatballs," Jake says out of nowhere. We both turn and look at him, "he adds this spice that makes them taste better and when I ask him, what it is; he says it's a secret," he adds.

"True," Christopher agrees with him, "his meatballs do taste good," he is supposed to be on my side here not Jake's.

"Can't you call him and tell him to come back, mom?" Jake asks me. I wish I could, I wish I could call him and he would come back. I wish he'd never left and not because he makes the best meatballs, but because he's only been gone one day and I already miss him.

I already miss his smile, his laugh, I miss our midnight talks about nonsense. I miss how he bites his bottom lip when he's nervous about something or when he passes his hands through his hair. "No, I'm sorry," I tell Jake. "What about I call him and we can ask him about the secret ingredient?" I suggest.

"It still won't taste the same, mom," Jake says. "Because the secret ingredient is him," he gets up from the stool putting his books back in his bookbag. "I miss him," Jake tells us. "I'm going to get cleaned up," with that he left the kitchen. I hear his footsteps running up the stairs and then him slamming the door.

"Seems like he got too attached," Toph says.

"Yeah," I say. "He's ten, that's what they do. He'll get over it and soon he won't even remember who Luke is," I say.

"I never got over Olivia," he says. I raise my eyebrow, is he talking about the same person I'm thinking about? We had a maid named Olivia growing up, our mother fired her because she thought we were getting spoiled or something. "What?" He asks shrugging his shoulder. "She was cute," he adds. I shake my head trying to forget about his comment.

"Trust me, he'll get over it," I assure him. Or maybe I am assuring myself he would be fine.

"Will you?" He asks me.

"Yes, it's life. People come and go all the time," I say.

"Some people are meant to stay," I nod my head agreeing with him.

"Doesn't mean they have to," I tell him.

AN

Avez-vous peur que vous tombiez amoureux de lui aussi? = Are you afraid you're going to fall in love with him too?

Au Revoir...