29

"Jake, I'm leaving," I say entering the kitchen. He is sitting on the island eating breakfast with his uniform on. "You got all your homework done?" I ask him, he nods his head. "Okay, Toph is in the shower, he should be down to take you to school in the next few minutes. Your dad should be back in town to pick you up from school," I add.

I run my hands through his light curly hair and kiss his forehead, "have a good day," I tell him.

"You too, mom," he replies. I grab my bag and keys and make my way to my appointment then to work. After about a twenty minutes drive, I reach the clinic who is by the hospital. The clinic is actually part of the same hospital I work in, I get inside and immediately see familiar faces. I know pretty much everyone here, I smile at the nurse sitting in front. 

"Mind getting me out of here quick?" I ask her. She nods her head, I give her my I.D and stuff and she gives the paperwork for to fill in. I am done in five minutes and hand them back to her. I take a seat in the waiting room next to the other patients. There is all type of women in here, young and old, black and white, pregnant and not. I smile at them awkwardly, I hate doctor appointments. 

Another nurse, I don't quite know comes in and calls my name. Glad they called me first. I follow her into a room and she hands me a gown. Already knowing how this will work, I take out my scrubs and get into the gown. The nurse comes back and takes a few tests leaving shortly after.

I sit there impatiently waiting for a doctor to come in, my phone vibrates and I take out of my bag to see Luke's name appearing on my screen. I haven't talked to him since he left, it's only been two days though. I hesitate before clicking on his name opening the text message.

Luke: Hi...

The text simply read, 'hi'. What does he mean hi? 

Me: Hey, how are you?

Luke: Good, how are you? 

How was I? Physically I am fine, I feel fine, but emotionally I am anything, but fine. 

Me: Okay I guess...

He read the message, I stare at the three dots indicating he is replying. Then the three dots disappear. I stare at the phone for a minute or two waiting for them to appear, but they don't. I set my phone back down and stare at the door waiting for someone to walk in. My phone vibrates again, I pick it up in a rush. I open the message, when I see it I smile.

Luke: I miss you so damn much and it's only been two days...

The door opens making me look up, I smile when I see my doctor walking in. "Christine," she gives me a smile. "How are you doing today?" She asks, "seems like someone has caught your attention though," she says pointing to my phone. I scratch my throat and put my phone away.

"I'm good Meg," I reply. "Let's drop the tell your doctor how you're feeling talk," I say. Meg and I have known each other since medical school, in fact, she used to be my study buddy and everything. She liked vaginas and babies so much that she became an OBGYN. "I have work in like an hour," I say looking at the clock on the wall.

"Promise not to hold you too much, so just the usual check-up?" She asks. I shake my head, she starts writing things down in her tablet. "How's Jake?" She asks, "he's ten now?" She asks again. She motions for me move the gown. She touches my breast, I don't why I ever decided to make someone I know my doctor?

"Yeah, he's turning eleven in December," I say. She touches the other breast, she nods her head telling me everything looks good.

"They grow up so fast, don't they. My little one's already one and it seemed like only yesterday I was waking up every ten minutes to pee," I laugh agreeing with her. They do grow up so fast, next thing I know, Jake will be in college.