47

"It hurts really bad, like really," the young woman says to me. Sometimes I really hate my job. I put my hand under my chin and listen to her talk some more about how much it hurts her. I nod my head and pretend that I actually care. "What do you think it is?" She asks me.

"I don't know," I say sarcastically. "Most people would call it soreness though," I tell her. This girl hasn't exercised in over a year and she decided to exercise yesterday. Now her body hurts and she has the audacity to come to the ER for that. I swear if I don't cut someone open soon, I am officially going to lose it. "Listen," I tell her. "You are really wasting my time, just go home and rest," I grab my stuff to walk out the room. "Oh, and you might want to take a Tylenol, you can find them at any pharmacy or corner store," she smiles awkwardly. I return the smile and walk out the room. 

"Hey Zoey," I greet when I spot her filing in some paperwork. "I didn't know you were working today," I say.

"I wasn't, I picked up some shifts because of the doctor shortage," I nod my head. They really need to hire someone else to replace the hole Patrick left here. "By the way," she says looking up from her papers. "I heard that he pled guilty and made a deal, five years in prison and they'll put him on the registry," she says a smile planted on her face. She is happy that someone is going to prison, weird, but I will not feel bad, he deserved it. 

"Where do you get your information?" I ask her. She knows things all the way from Florida. 

"I'm tight with the administrator," she says. "Anyways, what's up?" She asks, "you seem bored, do you need something to do?"

I nod my head, "I just wish someone would get stabbed or shot or something."

"That's mean," I hear a voice say behind me. I chuckle, I know that voice anywhere. Luke, what is he doing here? Zoey looks up at him laughing, I turn around and look at him. He shakes his head disapproving of my statement.

"Dr. De Vita," the head nurse comes calling Zoey, "room three," Zoey gives me an apologetic smile and leaves. Luke smiles at me and it is my turn to shake my head disapprovingly.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. He should not be coming to the place I work at of nowhere. "Do you need to see a doctor?" I ask him just to make sure he didn't come to the ER and not to see me. 

"Why?" He asks, "do I look sick?" He asks again, I shake my head no. "Thought I'd check up on you and bring you lunch," he says. I look at him unbelievably, part of me is mad at him for showing up here without calling or texting, but he made me lunch. No one has ever brought me lunch while I am working. This is so sweet of him, it shows he was thinking of me enough to bring me lunch. Snap out of it, I tell myself. He probably only made me lunch because I am carrying his kid, he doesn't care about me, he cares about his baby. "I didn't overstep or anything, did I?" He asks me when I don't say anything.

"Um...no," I shake my head. "Thank you for the lunch," I tell him. He hands me the bag with the food. "I'm actually on my break right now, you want to," I point outside. He nods his head not letting me finish my sentence. "You know you don't have to make me lunch right?" I ask him just to make sure he knows, "and you don't have to check up on me, I'm fine, I promise," I tell him. "But I do appreciate the food, I love food," I smile.

He laughs shaking his head, "I know," he answers. We make our way out of the ER. I am about to exit when I spot Romeo. He spots me also and waves his hand at me. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask him. "Did Samantha swallow pennies again?" I ask him. I look to around to see if I see his daughter, but he is not there with him. 

"No, I may or may not have dislocated my ankle," he says holding his feet. "It's probably nothing, but Samantha insisted that I come see a doctor," I look down at his feet.