32

"Then why did she take it?" I ask him.

He huffs and shakes his head, "I thought you were different," he simply says. 

"What?" I ask him, I can't believe he is really mad at me about this. If Julie thought it was so bad, she shouldn't have taken the money. I shake my head, "I did it and I don't feel bad about it, she took the money which means she wanted it," I snap back. "If you're mad about her having the money, I'll be happy to walk in there and demand that she gives me the money back," I add.

"That's not the point," he says. "The point is you shouldn't have offered her the money to begin with," he says. "And why did you bribe her?" He asks me.

"So, she could give me a table," I reply, "she said I needed a reservation and I didn't have one."

"Exactly," he says. "You can't use money to get what you want. Rules are placed for a reason and would it hurt to be like everyone else and follow them?" He asks. I sigh, now I know what this is really about. Money, he's mad that I used the money to my advantage.

"I'm not going to apologize about the money, Luke," I tell him. I wouldn't, I don't use my money to skip over rules, so if I feel like using it to my advantage sometimes, I will. I work really hard for my money and I'll be damn if I try to hide it to please someone. "I just wanted to surprise you, now I see that it was a bad idea," I say. He looks down at his finger fidgetting them, he bites his bottom lip and looks at me not saying anything.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, I take it out and answer. "Christy, where are you?" Christopher yells on the phone as soon as I answer. 

"I'm on my way back to the hotel," I lie. "I'll be there, soon," I add. I hang up the phone and pull up my GPS on my phone. It will only take me thirty minutes to get there, I just need to find a cab which will not be that bad since it looks like it's still day in the streets. "Bye Luke," I say. 

"Where are you going?" He asks walking after me.

"I am going back to the hotel, then tomorrow I'm going to enjoy New York and on Sunday I'll fly my ass back home. Do you know who's home?" I ask him. He shakes his head no, "my son," I answer him. "I knew this was a bad idea, I should have just stayed home and be with my son, go to work and cut people open," I tell him. "I don't know why I thought coming to see you was a good idea, you've obviously moved on, "I pause. "And I'm obviously going crazy again," I say. 

I told myself I wasn't going to grow attached to him, but I did the opposite. Even when my brain was telling me facts and logic, all I wanted to do right now was hug him, smell his scent, and touch his smooth skin. He opens his mouth to form a sentence, but nothing comes out. I nod my head already knowing what I needed to know. The small part of that didn't want to get an abortion is now agreeing with the part that wants to. What he had was nothing but a small fling. 

I stand beside the street calling a cab, the cab stops in front of me. "Christine," Luke calls me standing behind him. "It's midnight, I can't possibly let you get in a cab and go to a hotel alone," he says. 

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but I actually came out of the world alone," I tell him. I don't need anyone to help me or be with me. I won't die, what could the cab driver possibly try to do? Rape me, I can scream loud and I have a small knife in my bag and trust me I'm pretty good with my hands. He can't try to murder me because I happen to know some karate, kickboxing, and what I like to call a Christine beating. Nothing was going to happen to me, I even have Christopher on speed dial. 

"I know you can get to the hotel alone," he says. "But the streets are dangerous."

I chuckle at his comment, "grew in Chicago," I inform him. "I've seen enough danger."