30

I laugh at a joke Luke tells me over the phone, we've been talking a lot on the phone lately. We may not be able to see each other but talking is always a promise. "I swear it's a rich people problem," he adds.

"I wouldn't know, but I guess so," I thought it about for a second. Do rich people really think that their problems are the worst and that everyone should bow down to them. I shake my head not wanting to think about it anymore. I get out of my room and walk downstairs so I can get something to eat. Christopher is sitting on the island making me startle. He stares at me and gives me a look I don't quite understand.

"I have to get to work, call you later?" Luke requests over the phone.

"Yeah, later," I say. He hangs up the phone. I take the phone away from my ears and stroll to the fridge. I open it and grab an apple to eat. I take a seat and Christopher is still staring at me. "Okay," I say putting my phone down and giving him my full attention, "what is it?" I demand.

"Nothing," he says shrugging his shoulder. I shake my head and go back to ignoring him, "don't you and Luke talk a lot?" He asks sarcastically. I roll my eyes at him, "anyways, during all your long conversations, did you happen to tell him that you're pregnant with his baby?" He questions.

I roll my eyes once more, he knows I did not tell him about that. And I am not going to tell him anyway. He's in New York and he's happy no matter how much he tries to hide it. He loves his job/mentoring thing and he gets to see his mother almost every day which he loves. The only thing he complains about is his mother leaving every day to go back to his father who he hates. "No, I have not, and I am not going to tell him because I am not keeping the baby," I finally tell him.

"And before you say anything, yes I have thought about it for two weeks. I am not jumping into anything and I am not making any mistakes," I utter already knowing that he was going to say that.

"The fact that you are already defending yourself shows that you know you're wrong," he says. I shake my head and ignore him some more. I am not a little kid who was having an abortion to avoid her parents. I am a grown woman and I know what I want. What I want does not include a baby or even come close to that. "Not judging," he says putting up his hands, "just thought you should tell him, that's all," he adds.

"No, he's all the way in another state, I don't want to," I say.

"What if you could tell him in person?" He asks.

"I guess, what do you mean?" I ask him.

"Well, I bought us tickets to New York," he exclaims showing all his teeth. His smile dies downs when I don't smile also. "I thought you would be excited," he says with a frown.

"Well, you thought wrong," I say. I didn't want to go to New York especially right now. Going there would mean I have to bring Jake and I would have to face Luke to tell him I'm pregnant. There is no way in hell he would let me get an abortion since he's always wanted kids.

"Come on please," he says.

"What's in it for you?" I ask him. Christopher cares about me, but not that much for him to buy a ticket and bring me to go to New York.

"My unit is meeting up there this weekend," he says. I nod my head, I knew he had something to gain by going to New York. "Look, think of it as a vacation where you get to see the love of your life," he says.

"The love of my life?" I ask him. He nods his head, I chuckle. "I'm working this weekend," I say coming up with an excuse. I am working this weekend, but if I really want to leave, I can since I haven't taken any sick days all year.

"I already called Kelly and she said it was okay," he reveals.

"She did?" I ask in disbelief. It wasn't like Kelly to just say fine about missing work.

"I agreed to go on a date with her," he says.

"She's like almost forty," I state. The lady could be our mom.

"She's thirty-five," he corrects me. "I'm just doing the woman a favor, anyway," he says getting back to the conversation. I think about him dating Kelly for a second and almost throw up. I can't even stand to picture them kissing, that's just nasty. Christopher is not turning thirty until next year. "Juan will watch Jake for the weekend," he says having Jake covered.

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" I ask him.

"No," he says shaking his head. "Might as well just go and get it over with," he argues.

"Fine, when are we leaving?" I ask him.

"Today at four," he says. I look down at my phone to check the time. It's nine A.M. Why the heck didn't he tell me about this sooner. "Go pack," he says getting up from the island. I pout but get up regardless to go pack for New York which I don't even want to go to.

''''''''

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this," I say as we walk out of the airport in New York. I look at the place I haven't been to since my teenage years when my parents used to force me to come also. Christopher's friend is picking us up there, we stand there and watch as people enter cars to their loved ones. Christopher must have spotted one of the guys from his units because he leaves and walks up to a guy. I follow him there, he hugs the guy.

The guy is built in a familiar frame as Christopher except he's white. He has blonde hair which is cut short which I guess he did because of the military. He's been home for like weeks, even Christopher grew his hair back, I wonder why he didn't grow his hair back.

The short hair does not suit him at all, he looks over at me. He has grey eyes, dark grey eyes. "You must be Christy," he says.

"Christine," I correct him, I hate when anyone, but Christopher calls me that.

"Excuse my little sister, she's a rude one," Christopher says. My jaw drops, I am not rude. I am a little judgmental though, I just met the guy and I was already judging his choice of haircut.

"It's fine, I'm Kyle," he says handing me his hand to shake. I shake his hand, he has a firm hold. "Nice to meet you, Christine," he says putting emphasis on my name.

"Nice to meet you also," I say. He takes his hand away.

"Should we get going?" He asks. I nod my hand, I want some warm food right now and just want to be in my bed. We both nod our heads, he walks with us to his car. I take a seat in the back and Christopher sit in the front. He starts driving and leaves the airport slowly because of the traffic. I stare out the window, I probably should have called Luke that I was in New York. I decided to surprise him at work instead.

I pick up my phone and text to make sure he would be at the restaurant during dinner. It is already almost eight since New York is one hour ahead from Chicago. The plane that was supposed to take around two hours took longer since the plane was running late, and it was a hustle trying to get our bags since Christopher decided to bring a whole luggage for a weekend trip.

Me: Are you working tonight?

It takes a few minutes for him to reply.

Luke: Yes, why?

Me: No reason...

Luke: Weird, but okay. Talk later.

I smile, Christopher looks at in the rearview mirror. I roll my eye and look out the road again. I pull up a map on my phone to see where we are. I pull up the restaurant and noticed that we are not that far away from him. "Excuse me?" I say since Kyle and Christopher are talking.

"Yes?" Christopher asks.

"Not you," I say to him. "I was talking to Kyle," I say.

Kyle turns around and looks at me. "What's up?" He asks.

"Would you mind dropping me off at Louis, the restaurant," I say making sure he knows what I'm talking about.

"Um... sure," he says. 

"Thank you," I smile and relax in the back seat until I will arrive. I hate Christopher for making me come, but I am looking forward to seeing Luke.

AN

Who's excited to see Luke?

Au Revoir...