62

I sit outside of the entrance for the workers where Luke works. It is midnight and I am in my scrubs since I just finished my shift but I am waiting for him since it is his birthday, well yesterday was, and I did not have a chance to see him. I sit there impatiently looking down at my phone every five minutes. I thought he said, he usually left the restaurant around midnight. 

I hear the door about to open, I hide since I want to yell surprise. I peak my head and surely it is him. He is in jeans and a hoodie, he takes out his phone and I watch as he scrolls for a few seconds. I decide now is my chance to surprise him, "surprise!" I yell coming out of my hiding place. I hear him squeal and he turns around letting out a sigh when he sees me. I start laughing at his voice, "you sound like a little girl," I say holding onto my stomach. 

"That's because you scared me," he says under his breath. "It's not funny," he tells me. 

"Whatever you want to believe," I say. He rolls his eyes and frowns. "You were like, ha!" I say trying to mimic the sound of his voice. He starts laughing also giving me a smile. 

"It's late, what are you doing here?" He asks me. 

"I was coming from work, thought I'd surprise you," I tell him. "And make you scream like a little girl," I add. 

"You're never letting that go, are you?" He asks. I shake my head no, he chuckles and pulls me towards him and gives me a hug. "It's midnight, sweetheart, you should be in bed," he kisses my forehead. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to spend your birthday with you," I tell him. 

"It's fine, you had to work," he tells me. "Plus I do not like my birthday that much," he adds. 

"Okay, I brought you a present," I tell him. I dig through my purse and take the small gift bag. I hand it to him, he takes it and looks at me. 

"You did not have to buy me a present," he tells me. 

"I know," I say, "open it," I say excitedly for him to see what's inside. I clap my hands waiting impatiently, he chuckles and open the bag and takes out the gift. I smile as he pulls out the small cloth and opens it. It is an apron saying kiss the chef since he loves to cook. He smiles when he sees it, "do you like it?" I ask him. 

"Yeah, kind of cheesy," he says. "But I love it," he says. He gives me a hug and kisses my forehead. He puts it away and he puts his hand around my neck, "let's get you home," I nod my head. We walk in the direction of the parking lot so we can get in our cars. "I talked to my mom," he says as we walk. 

"Really?" I ask. He nods his head, "what did she say?"

"What I already knew," he replies. I did not know if he means it as a good thing or a bad thing, but I did not any more questions. "She loves him and she's not leaving," he informs me. I sigh, I kind of feel bad. He must hate her for staying with a man that has caused so much harm to their family. At the same time, I do not think he is harming her so I guess that's good. "I do not want to bring this up again, Christine. I'm done, okay?" He asks me. 

"For the first time in my life, I feel happy. I have the most amazing woman who buys me cheesy gifts," I chuckle, "I'm doing what I love, I'm cooking which is what I've always wanted to do. I can't constantly be worrying about my mother, I spent my whole life worrying about her and I am tired. I can't save her if she does not want to be saved. I told her I would stop speaking to her if she did not want to leave and she made her decision. She chose my dad, the guy she loves. I am only her son after all so please don't try to fix it?" He asks me. 

"Yeah, I understand," I say. This time I did understand. I tried and I was not successful. He doesn't want to mend the broken relationship and I guess it's time I accept that and let it go. "I'll stop being nosy," I promise him. He looks over at me and shakes his head. We reach my car and he stops, "thanks for walking me to my car, I guess," I say. 

"Yeah, I'm like a superhero, I walk people to their cars," he jokes. "Thanks for the present," he says. "Now, we can meet up later and talk but you need to go home and get some sleep now."

"Fine," I say. "We should've gone clubbing or something. Do something fun, maybe you could strip," I tell him. "It was your birthday after all."

"You want me to strip?" He asks me. I nod my head, "I can give you a private dance if you'd like," he suggests. 

"I'd love that," I say. "So, I have something I want to ask," I say. I've never felt this nervous about something before. He did say for me to tell him when I'm ready. After last week, I made up my mind that I was surely ready. Ready to be his and for him to be mine. I am ready to say I do's in front of a bunch of people we don't even know. He stands waiting for me to ask away. How do guys even do this?

What if he says he does not want to marry me? A lot can change in two weeks. Maybe he has decided I am crazy and he would hate to spend the rest of his lives with me. "What's the question?" He asks. 

"Well, you know how you said that, um..." he raises his eyebrow. "You said you wanted to get married one day," I tell him. He nods his head. "You said to let you know when I was ready and I am now. I guess the question is, will you marry me, Lucas Louis?" I ask him. 

He stands there his jaw drop. I did not know if he is happy or mad at my question. I put my hands in my pocket finally feeling stupid for asking him. "Did you just ask me to marry you?" He inquires. 

"I-I um... I guess I did," I say. "I'm sorry if that's weird, I shouldn't have. You probably don't even want to marry me anymore and here comes my stupid self-"

"Sweetheart, slow down," he says. "I just wasn't expecting you to ask, but nothing would make me happier."