Friend or Foe

Elliot and I snack on some food as we eat out after school. Basically, we're eating fries off of a 1 dollar menu at McDonald's. We're catching up with life because we haven't seen each other in years.
       Elliot and I were childhood friends, but we drifted apart once highschool started. Guess we got too busy for each other. We saw each other on our lowest points and helped each other out of the graves we dug for ourselves.
        I missed this. Hanging out with him, but hey, now we can. "So, what are you even doing as a college class?" I ask him as I dunk a fry in ketchup.
       "I'm just taking basic community college. I-I don't know what I'm good at," Elliot admits and twirls his straw.
      "Oh-Well that's fine. I mean my roommate Patton is taking community college too. Maybe you see him..."
       "What does he look like?"
      "Uhm..strawberry blonde hair, freckles, basically a man child."
      Elliot chuckles lightly and nods, "You live with that?"
      "Hey, don't ask me that. Ask his almost emotionless, logical boyfriend."
      "That's like...the polar opposite."
      "Tell me about it," I roll my eyes and chuckle with him."I'm surprised you know him."
     "Patton? Yeah, he, Uhm, he came up to everyone on the first day and said Hi. Everyone thought he was looney, but he's a lot like my counselor."
      "Yeah?"
      "Yeah, he talks about tv show, Well, cartoons as a way to help yourself and find yourself."
      "Huh," I fiddle with my sleeves, "now that sounds more like both Patton and his boyfriend, Logan."
     "Really?"
     I nod. I might be taking psychology, but Logan has a better grasp on the mind than I do. "Yeah. Patton loves cartoons and Logan knows more about the mind than I will ever know, and I'm in psychology."
        He stifles a chuckle and I chuckle, too. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and pull it out.
Prince Zander: Hey, Where are you?
       I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "What is it?" Elliot asks, leaning over and raising a brow in question.
       "It's Roman, wondering where I'm at." I slouch forward in my chair.
       "Oh, Okay."
I'm at McD's, eating with a friend.
Prince Zanders: oh okay cool.
       "He's upset," I look at Elliot and set my phone down on the table.
       "Oh no," he murmurs and I shrug.
       "It'll Be Fine, besides. I need to catch up with you."
       He smiles softly and looks down. Guess that flustered him a little. Hopefully, Roman will be cool about it when I get home.

      I open the front door and peel off my jacket. I set it on the coat rack as I hear footsteps approach. "Virge?" A soft voice asks.
      I turn and see Patton looking at me while fixing his hoodie. "What?" My brows furrow in worry because of how soft his voice is.
      He looks around and grabs a plate out of the microwave, putting half of it on another plate. He hands me the plates and walks outside. I follow after him. What the hell is going on? Who or what am I giving food to? I swear to god if Patton has a litter of cats out here.
      He walks over to a metal stairwell on the side of the building. "Roman has been on the roof since he found out you weren't home." He tells me as he unlatches the gate.
      I sigh and mentally facepalm myself. "I'm sorry," I mutter, "and thank you."
      Patton smiles to me as I head up the staircase. I watch the plates as I head up. My chest starts feeling fuzzy as I climb. The higher I go, the more thoughts I get. He just hates you. You're the bad guy. He's not going to forgive you for this.
      I make it up to the roof while biting on the inside of my mouth. Roman is on one edge, music drifting about in the somewhat quiet city silence. I walk over and clear my throat, awkwardly. He looks back to me then turns back quickly. Yep. He's pissed at me.
       "Patton made food. Looks like it's...Uhm-" I start and he sighs.
       "It's chicken with cheese and spices on it with a side of garlic powdered mashed potatoes and vegetables. I know."
       I sit beside him, keeping distance between us so he doesn't get upset, and look to him. He's looking forward at alleyway scenery with a guitar in hand. "You play guitar?" I ask, looking at the string instrument.
        "Yeah, I'm a bit rusty though." He sets the guitar behind himself, so I hand him dinner.
        He smiles faintly and takes it before eating it. I poke at the food not feeling hungry from the pit swelling and blooming in my stomach. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." I finally let out like I'm gasping for air, which is what it kind of feels like.
        He looks to me and sighs, "No, no. It's fine."
        "No, it's not. Don't blow this off. You started this a few hours ago, we need to finish it."
       He stuffs a piece of chicken in his face and I sigh, "fine, don't talk to me."
       The silence wades around until he finishes his piece. "Virgil, I-"
        Yet, I can't focus on his words. I'm already on overdrive. "Are you upset with me that I'm talking to a friend I just reunited with? Or am I suppose to be sitting there when you get home-?"
         "Nononono. Virgil, just-I'm just not used to it, okay? It's different and-and I barely know your new friend. He kinda looks sketchy-"
         "Roman! I've know him since childhood! He maybe different and an odd one out, but so am I! That's kinda why he's my friend!"
         "I'm-He looks sketchy, I'm just wondering if he's trustworthy."
         "I can set up a day where you can meet him."
        "Sure, thank you."
        "Yet that doesn't make sense if you are still upset I wasn't home."
        "I was worried!"
        "Seemed more disgruntled, but sure. 'Worried'."
        "My god, Virgil. I was sad, okay? I have feelings too! I'm not always 'happy go lucky ego dude'! I'm insecure and need others to be around to not hate myself."
        The angry static in the air fades and my eyes widen a little. "Roman, I didn-"
         "Of course you didn't. I'm just that good of an actor."
         "But, Roman. There are different people who would love to hear from you like your brother."
         "Logan."
         "Well, you're his family. I think he'd be happy if you came to him for condolence."
        He pokes at his veggies with his fork and I rub my temple, "the thing is, Roman, that...you being upset with me hanging out with friend is like me being upset that you come home late. I know you have practice and friends to hang around with so I let you have your space. Can you let me have mine, Ro?"
        I rest a hand on his thigh, making him look at it, then he gazes into my eyes. "You might be bad at a...few things but that doesn't mean you're bad at everything."
        He sighs and rubs his face, muttering, "What was I doing? I was being so childish...Yes, have your free time, I'll just check on you from time to time,"
        "Sounds good. Gunna keep going?"
        "And I suppose I could talk with your friend for a little while."
        I feel a soft smile creep on my face, "Better," and I pat his thigh lightly.
        He smiles lightly with sadness hidden behind it. I kiss his cheek then look to his guitar. "So, What have you been strumming up here? You want to give me taste test of it?" I say as  his eyes glance to it before setting his plate aside.
        He picks it up and strums once before looking over to me, "Sure, its kind of new so don't judge me too harshly."
       "I'll give some constructive criticism, if needed."
       He chuckles and strums to me. Letting the notes flow through the hum of the city.