Failed Advances

Quinn clutched her pink comforter and pulled it closer to her body while her eyes stared into the darkness that surrounded her. She lied awake in thought, it was yet another sleepless night. Even though it had already been three days since she found out that the man that raised her probably wasn't her father, she still had great trouble staying asleep or getting to sleep at all for that matter.

Although both she and Paloma were aware of the new information, the teenager seemed to be the only one entertaining the idea or even giving it a second thought. Every one of her advances to discuss the subject in detail seemed to fail. Over the past couple of days, anytime she tried to spark the conversation, Paloma immediately shot her down and diminished the discussion entirely. She'd immediately follow it up by asking the girl if she respected her wishes by not contacting the redhead that they came across online.

While Quinn was slightly fearful of the answer, she needed to know the truth, even if her sister didn't.

The girl turned her head to the side as it rested on her fluffy, white pillow. Her eyes met the small alarm clock that sat on her bedside table, she groaned at the time. It was already almost midnight and she wasn't remotely tired. Her gaze wandered to the picture that stood next to the alarm clock, a broad smile immediately spread across her face.

It was a picture of her and Charlie standing near a local ice cream truck. Quinn's grin matched the ones that she and Charlie held in the picture, despite the large stain that rested on the redhead's shirt. She remembered that day like it was yesterday. Mere seconds after they got their dairy treat, Quinn had managed to spill it all over herself and for whatever reason, Charlie felt the need to document it. From then on, it became one of her favorite pictures. It never failed to flood her mind with warm memories and now was no exception.

Quinn snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of light tapping that seemed to be coming from her bedroom window. She quickly put her glasses on and removed the soft comforter from her body. The warmth that she once inhibited rushed out of her, goosebumps instantly formed on her bare legs. After she pushed aside the white drapes, her eyes widened at the sight of the boy who was just on her mind.

"Charlie, what are you doing here?" she whispered while lifting the window wide enough for him to climb inside.

Charlie shrugged timidly, "I couldn't sleep, so I figured I'd come here. Sorry, is that weird? I didn't really think it through."

Quinn couldn't help but grin, "No, it's fine, perfect actually. I was just thinking about you. But, why didn't you text me? You didn't even know if I was awake, what if you'd come all this way for nothing?" She quietly scurried to her bedroom door and turned the lock, she really didn't want Paloma to suddenly make a grand entrance.

"I knew you'd be awake. We must be on the same mental wavelength or something," he joked.

"And your grandpa just let you go?" the girl pondered.

"He doesn't know," Charlie admitted.

"Sweet Charlie is breaking the rules for little old me and on a school night on top of it all?" Quinn gasped. "I'm honored, I truly am." She crept back to her bed to regain the warmth that she once held.

Charlie grabbed a nearby chair and placed it beside the girl's bed before planting himself down in it. His eyes flashed to Quinn's once he heard her giggle softly.

"You don't have to sit there." She lifted her comforter and motioned to the space next to her.

Charlie chuckled softly before raising his brow after he noticed the sincerity within his girlfriend's expression. "Oh, you're serious. I-I don't know, I mean your sister doesn't even know I'm here and if she sees me in your bed she'll-."