Shortcomings

"Hey, thanks for coming over," Paloma smiled sheepishly, her eyes studying the woman carefully as she stepped inside, shielding herself from the beaming sun.

"No problem," Ava assured.

Paloma led the mahogany-haired woman into the living room as she spoke, "I want to talk to you."

Ava chuckled and joined the other woman on the couch. "About...?"

Paloma furrowed her brow and inhaled deeply while she searched for the courage to voice the words that enthralled her mind for weeks. "...Us," she admitted.

"Paloma—."

"Just hear me out, okay?" the brunette pleaded. "When I first told you I loved you, you were right, it wasn't real, it was because I was scared. But, I've always cared about you, never doubt that and now...it's so much more than that for me. I love you, I really do. I hate that it took me losing you to see it, but...it's true. "

"Paloma, listen—."

"Look, I'll do anything, just say the word and I'll do it, but please...don't tell me no."

Ava released a small chuckle, "Can I speak now?"

The brunette reluctantly nodded her head. She creased her brow, her heart picking up its pace once she felt the other woman grab her hand.

"The speech wasn't necessary," she laughed. "I believe you and I've missed you and...I still love you."

Paloma wore a beaming smile, "Really?"

"Yeah, and you have you have no idea how long I've wanted to do this."

The brunette rested her eyes as Ava leaned forward with pursed lips, however, just before their lips could meet, the mahogany-haired woman pulled away.

Paloma lifted her eyelids and furrowed her brow once the other woman began quietly chanting her name, "Paloma...Paloma...Paloma."

The oldest Sullivan simply stared at Ava, but it wasn't until she felt her vigorously shaking her shoulders that she realized she was asleep.

Paloma quickly sat up and ran her fingers through her long hair, her eyes blinking rapidly. She surveyed her surroundings, once she noticed the familiar desk that rested beneath her elbows, she immediately realized she was at work.

After Ava nudged her shoulder, she met the woman's gaze.

"Long night?"

Paloma sighed, "Something like that."

"What were you dreaming about?"

"Nobody, nothing, I-I can't remember." Paloma grimaced at her own stammering before calming herself and shrugging nonchalantly. "Why do you ask?"

Ava lifted her eyebrows in amusement. "Because you had a big, goofy grin on your face the whole time," she giggled.

Paloma squirmed under the woman's gaze. "You were watching me?"

Ava occupied the spot next to the brunette as she smiled. "Just for a few minutes. I mean, it's boring around here, I needed something to amuse me," she chuckled. "Anyway, you better not let the boss see you slacking off, he'll have your ass for it."

Paloma nodded before turning to face the other woman. "Do you wanna hang out tonight?"

While she had to admit, knowing the happiness she just felt was nothing more than a dream was rather disheartening, it still granted her a sense of hope. She was certain that eventually, she could make her dream a reality.